Featured Porcelain Asian lady with dragons statue

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Sep 22, 2022.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this today at a friend's thrift store (along with a 1970's Rougier pink acrylic (shell?) lamp - and no art!).
    I believe it's glazed? porcelain and the bottom looks like unglazed porcelain - is it?
    Another unusual thing is the bottom is concave but there is no hole or opening that you usually see on these. Does that help tell it's age? Or quality (if any - camera flash may have washed out the details a little but to me the details like the dragon's scales look pretty good)
    It's 16" tall and there are no marks or signatures that I can find on it.
    Any information/thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

ART STATUE DRAGON LADY STATUE ASIAN 1A_AA.JPG ART STATUE DRAGON LADY STATUE ASIAN 1AA_AA.JPG ART STATUE DRAGON LADY STATUE ASIAN 2AA_AA.JPG ART STATUE DRAGON LADY STATUE ASIAN 3AA_AA.JPG ART STATUE DRAGON LADY STATUE ASIAN 4AA.JPG ART STATUE DRAGON LADY STATUE ASIAN 4CAAA.JPG ART STATUE DRAGON LADY STATUE ASIAN 5AA.JPG ART STATUE DRAGON LADY STATUE ASIAN 6AA.JPG ART STATUE DRAGON LADY STATUE ASIAN 6CAA.JPG ART STATUE DRAGON LADY STATUE ASIAN 9AA.JPG

Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
    Figtree3, judy, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  2. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

@Any Jewelry

You'll have to wait till tomorrow unless she happens to wake up in the middle of the night. However, she will be able to tell you all you need to know about who this is supposed to represent. ;) :happy::happy::happy:

Aquitaine, judy and kyratango like this.
  3. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

4. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

Well old if ain't journey, pure as the driven snow

Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
    judy and bercrystal like this.
  5. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Yes but it's cool- read first link where it will drip water for almost a day!

6. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

That would explain why there is no vent hole in the bottom - the holes in the dragon's mouth and the flask would allow the hot air to escape during firing. Neat thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted