Porcelain Bowl & plate ID Needed

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by gella203, Mar 12, 2019.

1. gella203

gella203 New Member

I bought this bowl and (4) small 5" diameter matching plates that I fell in love with. The bowl is NOT really marked (except TO???) but the plates are marked with two: red New Habsburg Austria and green MZ Austria.

BOWL is 1.5" tall, base 2.5" across, rim 4' across.

My questions are: what is the bowls purpose and/or shape name? I was thinking it is a finger bowl? Was it made by the same maker as the plates? What is the purpose and/or shape name of the plates? I was thinking butter pats? Why do my plates have two different marks in two different colors? And finally...when where the items made?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i'm thinking nut dish....

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  3. komokwa

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Dimensions on the bowl would help. The shape is like a typical ramekin, but whether that's what it is depends on size.

Christmasjoy, i need help and judy like this.
  5. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

well, the OP says the matching plates are 5' in diameter, but pretty sure they would be 5" instead. ;)

6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

7. komokwa

oh...rats...I was hoping to see a five foot plate !!! :(

8. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

They go well together, but they are not the same pattern. I can't say who made the bowls; I don't think that's a maker's mark. As for the plate, the blank was made by MZ Austria. They sold a lot of things with the Habsburg mark, but I don't know if it was a line, an importer, or a decorator! More research needed.

9. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

10. wiscbirddog

what am I missing? they look the same to me.

judy likes this.
  11. janetpjohn

The rims are different--one rounded and the other pointy; one has blue and pink flowers, the other just pink; the plate has embossing. Rosebuds have always been popular.

judy, Christmasjoy and SBSVC like this.
  12. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

13. wiscbirddog

I agree the china 'blanks' don't match but the 'decals' on the plate match the larger ones on the ramekin.

i need help, judy, SBSVC and 2 others like this.
  14. janetpjohn

You are so right. I looked through a ton of Altrohlau patterns on the replacements site, and many have pieces with different edge treatments in the same pattern.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    i need help, judy and SBSVC like this.
  15. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

It is not a finger bowl.
    As bakers said, it's a ramekin and under plate.

I agree with wisc, they were meant to go together.
    You're missing the other bowls.

i need help, judy and wiscbirddog like this.
  16. caroln

caroln Active Member

Is it possible that the mark on the nut bowl is a 10? Maybe someone marked a price on it in a previous sale?

i need help likes this.
  17. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

i need help likes this.
  18. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

"The MZ Austria marks were used by this porcelain factory since it was in 1884 bought on auction by Moritz Zdekauer Bank. The company exported products to North and South Americas and the Dutch colonies."
    http://www.theoldstuff.com/en/porcelain-marks/category/161-mz-austria-marks

19. caroln

caroln Active Member

Yikes! Sorry clutteredcloset!

Draft saved Draft deleted