Porcelain figurine - id? age?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Northern Lights Lodge, May 30, 2020.

1. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

Hello fellow Antiquers,

I posted this some time ago...apparently, in the wrong spot....so I'll try it again and see if any of you can help me out.
    IMG_1071A.JPG IMG_1072B.JPG IMG_1073C.JPG IMG_1074D.JPG IMG_1075E.JPG
    I have this little figurine that I've been researching for a number of years. I can't find anything specific about him.

I believe him to be made of glazed white porcelain. He stands 4 3/4" tall. The base is 1 7/8" x 2 1/4". It is quite heavy for it's size - 5 1/2 ozs. He's a fancy pants "dandy" and is beautifully painted in only a few colors. A soft sea green with darker green accents like the outline of his jacket, buttons and polka dots. His face is exquisitely painted with brown brows, blue eyes with black highlights, pink cheeks, deeper pink lips and he has brown hair.

There are a few letters or numbers on the bottom of the base; not sure what they are, and a fairly legible 1367 1. There is a very uniform round vent hole on the top of the tree stump he is leaning against.

The only damage is a fairly large chip on the base that has been glued back on; sadly the glue has yellowed.

Anyway, I think he's charming. I would welcome your thoughts as to age, where he was manufactured, what the numbers may mean, and if there is any significance to his polka dot handkerchief and green cross on his hat. Of course, if you have an idea of value; that would be great!

Sincerely, Leslie at the Northern Lights Lodge

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Are these speckles in the glaze or dirt that needs to be washed off?
    upload_2020-5-30_9-21-20.png

Any Jewelry likes this.
  3. Northern Lights Lodge

Definitely speckles in the glaze...

4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

There are things that look suspect.
    One the glaze if the speckles are in it. If it were German, the glaze should be white or cream.

That vent hole is too clean (perfectly round).
    That vent hole is in the wrong spot.

Now, I am not an expert and I could be very wrong.

@janetpjohn @say_it_slowly

5. Northern Lights Lodge

Thanks for your thoughts! Anything helps! Leslie

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  6. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I'm sorry I can't help. I think it might say Ger at the top part and it might read 1867 but none is very clear. The line on the bottom could be part of a mark but don't know. Perhaps try photos with lots of different light sources, raking angles etc.

I don't have much knowledge of figurines but I'd think someone might recognize the way the numbering is done for possible makers if they are collectors. I do think the location of the hole is odd and I wonder if it was used to insert something, rod for a candle stick or something like that.

7. Northern Lights Lodge

Hi! Thanks for your thoughts. If I recall right; those photos were about as clear as I could get them... the numbers are very light (hardly indented at all). The hole seems to be a talking point...not sure what that means...
    Well, either I'll find out more or i won't... you never know what tip will pop up that will gleen light on it.
    Leslie

Draft saved Draft deleted