Porcelain head doll - any way to tell age

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by prestoncohunter, Feb 26, 2020.

1. prestoncohunter

prestoncohunter Well-Known Member

Another doll. I find no markings on the porcelain, body is filled cloth. Is there any way to come up with an age. Many thanks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Is that a Bye lo baby?? I remember Mom used to have ONE, but it was SO long ago and she eventually sold it.....they once were pricey!!! Absolutely let the experts chime it!!!! Please show more pictures of it, also without her bonnet on, as well as the base of the back of her head!! Thanks.....

i need help and prestoncohunter like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

According to Kovel's, the back of the head should be marked “copr. Grace S. Putnam, Made in Germany."

Debora

il_570xN.742380883_9jbr.jpg

5. prestoncohunter

prestoncohunter Well-Known Member

More pictures will have to be this evening, I had the bonnet off and didn't see any markings but will double check. The dress came up on the back of the head and I did not try to get it down to where the head attached to the body but will do so.

i need help likes this.
  6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

There are lots and lots of repros and newer versions of the Bye-lo Baby out there. My mother is a doll collector and she has some older repros. With no marks, I'm pretty sure that this is not an original. Here is some information.

https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/bye-lo-baby-dolls-774684

7. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Definitely a reproduction.

8. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

YES, Reproduction ... Joy.

9. Jet

Jet Still learning how to dance in the rain...

Imho it is a reproduction. One thing I did want to mention, it is always important to look for those marks, usually on the back of the neck, but what most don't realize is that the new molds also have the original marks. A reputable reproduction artist always adds their own initials or mark, sometimes a date. One that isn't reputable, well, you get it... don't have my books with me right now, but if you do a search on an original antique Bye-Lo-Baby the differences in the painting of an original can be seen right away. The brows are soft and whispery, the hairline almost looks airbrushed on though it wasn't. No harsh lines, if that makes sense.The older pieces sometimes have a rushed eyelash clump, but most often are finely painted. I had a t-shirt made that I wore to the classes I helped with stating "I hate eyelashes". That was always the toughest part of repros, those delicately placed lashs... sorry, lol, bit of a ramble. You get the gist...

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    Aquitaine, i need help, judy and 4 others like this.
  10. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

viral-photo-newborn-baby-girl-unimpressed-grumpy-face-fb2-png__700.jpg It's the Viral Newborn Grumpy Girl ! You should send it to them !!!

11. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

That image was taken seconds after her C-section birth!!!! Don'tcha just LOVE it!!!!! I think we should have a "Captions Contest" ---HAHAHA!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted