Porcelain pitcher,Royal Bayreuth mold? not Royal Bayreuth?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by jas, Mar 12, 2017.

1. jas

jas New Member

IMG_3357.jpg parianbtm.jpg hoyal.jpg Same as marked Royal Bayreuth Orchid pitcher except no piercing near handle.Exceptional molding with hollow type handle.Definite belleek quality about it. Molded cipher mark and number. Scratched initials in clay body. Whats going on here?

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Looks like they copied the Royal Bayreuth pattern.

Are the colors on yours a pale grey blue/ white?

There is a current company that puts out very nice porcelain. It's an import company. Having a hard time with memory this morning. I think it is either an Italian or Japanese company. It is not Fitz and Floyd, another company.

Wonder if that is what you have.

3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi and WELCOME, jas!! Keep checking in, you should come close to or get an answer!!

4. jas

jas New Member

5. jas

jas New Member

Some more photos. different lighting.Indirect sunlight (diffused)and direct sunlight.I would say more like a creamy white. Also has some firing separation? Seems this would be a difficult mold to copy,hollow handle and front protrusion.Not really porcelain guy. Mostly early glass. par7.jpg parianbest.jpg parian3.jpg

6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Franz porcelain?

7. jas

jas New Member

Wow, went down the internet rabbit hole on Franz Porcelain, happy I did.Great stuff.Very colorful,lots of mixing of styles and time periods, mostly derivative.I see why it came to you. Of course lots of under glaze marks for Franz.Blue for english spelling and red for chinese.Both occurring on each piece.Found nothing in clear glaze over white body only.
    Is the suggestion that this piece may be a one off or prototype made over there?(China)
    Just found other interesting aspect of pitcher.Approx. 1/2 in. glaze wipe? at bottom edge. parianwipe.jpg

8. clutteredcloset49

Yes that is what I couldn't remember this morning.
    Thank you.

9. clutteredcloset49

10. jas

jas New Member

Given the opaque nature of the chinese supply chain and somewhat handcrafted claim of Franz porcelain,your suggestion may be correct.Probably no chance of actually finding information on the actual maker.Certainly the marks mean something.Curious that there are no chinese characters involved in marking, as Franz is taiwanese co. making product in mainland China.Although for the western market.

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  11. clutteredcloset49

That scratched EA has been bothering me. I keep coming back to it.
    I don't think an import company as big as Franz would have marked it this way. Even if it was the decorator's mark.

Wondering now if possibly this was one of those molds you purchased and decorated yourself, then fired.
    Just another idea.

Draft saved Draft deleted