Featured Porcelain Vase found under excavation site and still intact. Need info

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by CookiesCollectibles, Nov 4, 2017.

1. CookiesCollectibles

CookiesCollectibles Active Member

IMG_20171104_132125.jpg IMG_20171104_105215.jpg Hi again. This is my new addition to my queries :) A friend found this very interesting vase where they were excavating to repave a main road by a local school over 10 years ago. There is no answer as to how long it was under there before the redo. It was found under asphalt and somehow still intact. There is a lot of Indian history in our neck of the woods... But that's just a my 20171104_125730-COLLAGE.jpg 20171104_125357-COLLAGE.jpg guess... THERE is Crazing as you can see in the pics. The only thing strange is that the vase has no real cracks almost like it was made like this? The maker's mark is more of an impression...

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  2. CookiesCollectibles

Thanks aaroncab, Do you know anything about the maker's mark? It's an impression.

KingofThings and judy like this.
  3. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

No real idea where it's from - but it's not Indian(assume you mean native american?). Was dug up from under a road...but where?

4. aaroncab

Sorry...not seeing a maker's mark, at least not one i can make out in your pics. Can you post a picture of what you are seeing as the maker's mark?

5. CookiesCollectibles

In New Hampshire. We actually have quite a few Indian reservations. There is a lot of Indian history.

6. CookiesCollectibles

Absolutely. I will post another pic. It was found in Plymouth NH

7. aaroncab

I'm far from a pottery expert, but to me it looks european...beyond that - I'm sure more folks will chime in. I could be way off. It's a very interesting piece! I like the decoration of the cherubs/fairies on the crescent moon.

8. CookiesCollectibles

Me too! I find
    it quite fascinating. I think maybe Spanish?

9. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

10. CookiesCollectibles

11. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Does look like majolica. The decoration looks geared to a child's taste & you mention it was found near a school. When does the school date to?

12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Japanese, I'd say. It's crackelure finish. Late 19th at a guess. It isn't majolica, it's china or porcelain - that isn't a tin glaze.

13. CookiesCollectibles

The road itself has been there well over 100 years. The school was built in the 70's. The asphalt I know for sure over 25yrs. But not exactly positive how many exact.

14. CookiesCollectibles

Oh, cracklure is the word for the Crazing look?

15. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

If I'm correct, don't look for small....look at the "big" picture of the bottom..ie..overall...where there's less crackelure......

16. CookiesCollectibles

Yes, you are correct. It's the big picture not a small mark. The cracklure throws it off.

17. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Compare this to the 2nd image down..............sorry, the drawing sucks!!!!

z20171104_105215xx.jpg

thefathand, KingofThings and judy like this.
  18. CookiesCollectibles

Not getting the picture drawing idea. This has a impression that is thicker. It's hard to show you. But I will try to get a picture at a better angle

KingofThings likes this.
  19. CookiesCollectibles

IMG_20171104_161226.jpg
    This is in a different lighting. See how it looks like a horse impression?

20. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

It looks like there might be lettering under the glaze around the bottom of the circle.

Draft saved Draft deleted