Featured Portieux Vallerysthal companion piece ques

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lucille.b, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

First off, a shout out to @Barn Owl who posted some of this Portieux glass a half year ago in a thread. I saw these at a sale and thanks to that post knew enough to do a double take.

I think I've properly identified the small sherbets, but the tall one is a mystery. I wasn't even going to buy it as it clearly is from a different maker, but the seller was so sure these were a set (and could tell she was going to be unhappy if I split them up) that I went ahead and purchased the tall one too.

Any thoughts on that tall piece? Approx 8" tall.

all.jpg all2.jpg

cxgirl, Figtree3, Barn Owl and 6 others like this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

judy, Lucille.b, Christmasjoy and 4 others like this.
  3. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I love them. They sell like hotcakes.

judy, Lucille.b, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  4. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

5. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Where the stem joins the base looks different.

judy, Lucille.b, Christmasjoy and 3 others like this.
  6. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I would guess Empoli on the large stem.
    Don

7. Lucille.b

pearlsnblume likes this.
  8. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hi Lucille - I think it's one of those cases where incorrect (or at least questionable) information is being repeated. Blue milk glass is often listed as Portieux Vallerysthal by sellers "just in case" and because that attribution may help it sell. As far as I'm aware there is no catalog information identifying them definitively as Portieux Vallerysthal. And that doesn't even bring into consideration Asian reproductions of some of the documented Portieux Vallerysthal patterns.

If you bought them for resale you can qualify your listing by saying these have been attributed to Portieux Vallerysthal by other sellers but that to your knowledge no documentation for that attribution exists.
    Don

9. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

dgbjwc and Lucille.b like this.
  10. TallCakes

FWIW, if you look thru he various images on "R" you'll find an Imperial Glass label attached. I haven't personally been able to find any catalog confirmation of IG or VP.

I do recall a past thread referencing GinaGlavin.com as perhaps some sort of definitive attribution to VP. I contacted that reference for some definitive way to differentiate between the supposedly separate designs and the response was nothing definitive, but what seems mostly vague observations to me. Here's that response: "Thank You for your inquiry and also checking out my website. Your question is a topic I’ve been meaning to blog about. The best way I know is mostly by the color, and thickness of the stem. The color of Imperial is a little more faded and a little bit lighter blue then the French Opaline. Also, the stem is a little bit more “squatty” or shorter and also slightly chunkier. Hope this helps out and keep following me for a more comprehensive article to address your question!"

Maybe "R" has some definitive data to support their extensive listings (other than that affixed label); they certainly do not show any similar design attributed to VP in their listings.

Personally, as I've noted before, considering the quantity of listings that show up on these stems it's much easier to accept the IG attribution with the c1962-66 date put forth by "R"...

anyone ever seen any of these with the VP mark included, as they were often pretty good at using that mark...

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  11. Lucille.b

Dgb, Good advice, thanks. I have a tiny bit of provenance in that they have some age, were from a wealthy former owner (local artist), she was in her 90s. Not purchased in the last several decades at least. (Maybe rules out Asian.)

Thanks for the link Bronwen.

Noticed on the Gina site in the link, this Gina person shows (what looks like my sherbets) pieces as being PV, but hard to be sure.

They do seem to have some quality in the hand, but I will use careful wording if I sell, as Dgb suggested.

Also, I am so out of my element with the glass sites, Tall Cakes are you talking about the 8" piece above (with Imperial sticker?) The quote: "The color of Imperial is a little more faded and a little bit lighter blue then the French Opaline. Also, the stem is a little bit more “squatty” or shorter and also slightly chunkier." This description actually fits the group I have in a way. The large piece is a more faded and lighter blue.

Learning! Thanks! :happy:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    judy, Bronwen and pearlsnblume like this.
  12. TallCakes

no, the sticker I saw was on a sherbet/low champagne (IIRC); the tall stem above is definitely not IG. With most online images it is not really possible to discern any real differences given the varied lighting that affects the colors represented, and the weird angles of many photos. It seem no one is able to do a side by side comparison of the supposedly two lines (I'm not really convinced there are two lines)… glad I collect EAPG cake stands as it's much easier than this...……...

judy, dgbjwc, pearlsnblume and 2 others like this.
  13. Lucille.b

And a piece of cake sounds lovely right about now!

Thanks for all of the eyes on this and great info. :happy:

TallCakes, pearlsnblume and Bronwen like this.
  14. TallCakes

Draft saved Draft deleted