Featured Portraits of Sultan and Sultana

Discussion in 'Art' started by laura9797, Jan 17, 2019.

1. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Does anyone recognize these fine painted portraits? They are likely on Ivory. I have not removed them from the frames. Thank you! cartier.jpg

2. April07

April07 Well-Known Member

They are Mughal, I think

3. April07

Look http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O432235/one-of-eleven-bust-portraits-painting-unknown/
    As far as I remember these particular type of portraits became popular when the East India Company took over the Mughal empire. Shortly after that, in the 2nd half of 19th century, this type of portraits were used as a diplomatic tool and were often produced in the European style rather than in traditional Mughal style. Yours looks earlier, I think

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  4. April07

5. laura9797

Christmasjoy, kyratango and Aquitaine like this.
  6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The romantic answer would be Shah Jahan & Mumtaz.

Edit: Which I see you found. :)

7. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. April07

I was thinking about Jahangir too, there is big similarity, but in all the portraits that I saw his wife is without that elaborated headdress, just with her head covered

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is difficult to pinpoint an age for these if we don't see more detail.

The woman is the lovely Mumtaz imo. I saw this image a lot when I was researching my Mumtaz.
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/help-for-the-glass-on-my-mughal-beauty-please.26922/#post-358722
    Most of these Shahs and wives had several portraits made, so there are more possibililties for the same person.

These two may not have been husband and wife. They could have come from a set with several Shahs and their spouses.

10. April07

This is a very good point!

11. laura9797

I just picked up the portraits and will see about some better images - they are in sterling and lucite frames - might be sealed.....stay tuned :sour:

Any Jewelry and Jivvy like this.
  12. laura9797

Removed from frames and the oval portraits appear to be glued down. I am not seeing any cross hatching to indicate ivory (would thin sliced ivory still show that?) and they are not cold to the touch as porcelain might be. These are likely gouache and enamel. The silver frames are stamped Cartier, .925 and "ITALY". I am sure originally they had glass covers which have been converted into thick lucite. Really cool looking. muhal7.jpeg muhal8.jpeg muhalside.jpg

13. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

If they are on ivory, you might be able to see some cross hatching on the edges. Even thinly cut ivory can show the schreger lines.

i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. laura9797

Thanks. I unfortunately can't get to the sides to see because of the case. It is probably better if I do not even mention "ivory".......

i need help likes this.
  15. April07

i need help likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted