Featured possible roman bronze bowl?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by hunt2, Apr 29, 2024.

1. hunt2

hunt2 Active Member

Hello everyone, i might have found the most amazing object i have ever found. Found this bronze bowl in a thrift store area and my hard stopped for a moment because i recognized the wear and style. But i am not sure if it could be roman.

It is a bronze zodiac bowl cast in a four piece mold and the patination inside the bowl could also have been on the outside because i think it has been cleaned. IMG_20240429_135645344.jpg IMG_20240429_135651842.jpg IMG_20240429_135630079.jpg

2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

It looks virtually identical to this one, identified as antique Japanese. I cannot vouch for their identification, but at least there appears to be more than one, and it would be a direction for further research -

https://www.pamono.eu/antique-decorative-bowl-1750

mirana, kyratango and komokwa like this.
  3. 2manybooks

Any Jewelry, aaroncab, mirana and 2 others like this.
  4. hunt2

hunt2 Active Member

Oke very interesting and thanks VERY much for your research. First it is defently not japanese because i found the same flower patern on a roman terra sigillata bowl. But i have to take a very close look at your sites and compair them with my bowl. But at first glance the other bowls look more crudly cast. But they ask a rediculous amount of money even for a copy. see here the pottery bowl with the same flower patern.

https://www.gettyimages.ca/detail/n...imperial-age-gallo-roman-news-photo/182133550

5. hunt2

hunt2 Active Member

here a comparison with my bowl and the one from the 18th century. top photo 18th century and bottom photo my bowl and could it be they are also wrong about the date of the bowl? Screenshot 2024-04-29 at 19-18-11 Antique Decorative Bowl 1750.png IMG_20240429_135705273.jpg

Last edited: Apr 29, 2024
  6. 2manybooks

I saw those sigilatta bowls as well, with very similar designs. The sigillata ware is ceramic. Have you seen Roman examples in bronze? I am wondering if these are modern (19th century or later) neoclassical pieces made in imitation of the ceramic bowls.

7. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

The “Greek key” pattern/design was used all over the world including in ancient China. I imagine a flower pattern potentially used in Rome could also have potentially been used in Japan at a later date or concurrent date.

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  8. hunt2

hunt2 Active Member

that could be, but i think the key is bronze casting in Ferrara italy that go way back to the 16th century.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2024
  9. hunt2

hunt2 Active Member

defently not japanese, see second link of 2manybooks. exact same decoration, but my bowl is of heavier quality.

10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree, it is European. Historical items were copied a lot, especially in the 19th century. Copies were often executed in bronze and brass when the original item was terracotta or glass.

I also agree with Dagger that motifs can be found in different cultures, sometimes through contact, and sometimes because they simply make sense to any culture.
    Do you have a link, hunt?
    I see a more even colour on the 18th century one, whereas yours looks like it was 'antiqued', which was also done in the 19th century (and later).

mmarco102 likes this.
  11. hunt2

hunt2 Active Member

of what do you want a link?

12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The 18th century one. You posted a photo, but not the link.

13. hunt2

hunt2 Active Member

see link top of the page from 2manybooks. My bowl has been cleaned on the outside and than they have put wax on it. but i used to bee green also on the outside. at least thatś what i think.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted