Featured Possible silver bowl with strange “12” mark and undetermined maker

Discussion in 'Silver' started by J Dagger, Jan 14, 2021.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Found this at a thrift store tonight. It’s got the look of silver to me rather than looking silver plated. It’s thin and an appropriate weight for silver vs. plated. Makers mark looks like “Kirsch”, the other mark appears to be a 12 in a rectangle with lines. Not a mark I’ve ever seen before. Also touching the rectangle seem to be two other marks I can’t identify. Below the rectangle looks like some words/numbers but even with a loupe I can’t make it out because they are so small and worn. Almost looks like a 585 at the end but obviously this isn’t gold. It may not even be silver but I think there’s at least a good chance it is. It’s not attracted to a magnet. The only 12 mark I can imagine would be for 12 Loth silver out of Germany or Austria. There are several small verdigris spots that you may see on low grade silver such as 12 Loth which is .750 fineness. Hard to explain the difference but it looks like silver verdigris rather than the verdigris seen on silver plated copper. I haven’t broken out acid yet. There is indeed a Karl Kirsch who was an Austrian silver manufacturer 1895-1914. Hoping it may be him. Anyone know or see anything I’m missing? FC66C13B-1E40-4167-9FD1-1934FB07B09A.jpeg 34CD3BE7-C075-4052-B8F0-EAE49B049660.jpeg 00969C0A-8AC9-43D0-AD9B-D06AED73965D.jpeg

2. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

German 12 loth (.750), Constantin Hermann Kirsch of Bautzen, circa 1850.

From a German research project:
    german-12-loth-contantin-hermann-kirsch-1850-theo.JPG

~Cheryl

johnnycb09, Bronwen, patd8643 and 9 others like this.
  3. J Dagger

Oh wow, that’s so cool! This is my first piece of thrift store silver holloware ever and it’s a unique old one! No wonder it was still sitting there at night, no one knew what it was.

Where did you find this information? Online or in some resource you already owned? I don’t think I ever would have gotten it, thank you!

MrNate, johnnycb09, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  4. DragonflyWink

As said, a German research project - so far as I know, password-protected at the moment...

~Cheryl

5. J Dagger

I got the part where you said it was a German research project. I didn’t know how you found it. Thanks either way!

BoudiccaJones, MrNate and Bronwen like this.
  6. DragonflyWink

Sorry, should have been more clear - would have just posted a link if the information could have been accessed that way...

~Cheryl

komokwa, MrNate, J Dagger and 3 others like this.
  7. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Beautiful score! And unique marks, not ones I've seen before either.

J Dagger likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted