Featured Possible vase recognition?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by mmarco102, Nov 4, 2018.

1. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

At my last estate sale visit, my girl absolutely had to have this vase. I failed to see anything special about it but she fell in love with it. *shrugs*

It is quality pottery and very heavy 9” tall. Is this style and simple design recognizable or just your regular house ware. As you will see there are two blueish streaks on the upper shoulder. In the third image you’ll notice the bottom is not a perfect symmetrix circle and the deep burgundy color glaze intentionally bleeds away towards the rim. The base shows age. I can’t imagine somebody deliberately trying to make the base look old for a simple unmarked vase. But I do have a lot to learn.

This is a keeper, like with me, she wont let it go, :)

1BD12D89-FCB7-421B-840B-50DEAE7EF6B4.jpeg E064265A-7919-4432-8518-17D5FD0A2EE1.jpeg 7F53C3DF-9447-4683-86BD-4945B57FAA0E.jpeg 0D47B8E8-9A40-4D13-9E1B-471D72E9A88F.jpeg EB9B8414-EA4F-4930-B725-8CEC879C3BFB.jpeg 88038237-78D7-4BBE-997C-0343CF983D82.jpeg 5B34C39A-497E-4120-BDED-A616D6C9AE48.jpeg

2. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

That burgundy color is usually referred to as oxblood. If you search the term oxblood vase you'll see tons of examples. The blue is a bit unusual. I've always been fond of this glaze but it's not really my area so I can't help with age.
    Don

3. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

I think it's 20th century Chinese, just from google images.

4. mmarco102

Amazing what the internet turns up when you have the right words. Yes indeed and so many with the same fade to the top. Guessing now I am going to owe Lan an apology, she has a good eye. Thank you.

i need help likes this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Pretty!

(When I first read the title I saw "Possible face recognition." :hilarious: )

6. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

Also referred to as “sang de boeuf”, French for oxblood.
    The fade to blue is also referred to as flambé.

7. mmarco102

FACE RECOGNITION :woot:

E24F10E3-8D03-4315-8F01-C3D38DC93515.jpeg

“My apologies for the naughty word. Promise it wont happen again.....sort of ;)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    sassafras, Jivvy, Bronwen and 8 others like this.
  8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

LOVE the color and the vase sure is PURDY!!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

mmarco102 likes this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

A gorgeous vase, mmarco.
    Dating these is difficult. As always, the devil is in the detail.
    I only have information from some old books, but maybe there is some more floating around the www.
    So here it goes, with info from Mrs Willoughby Hodgson's book "How To Identify Old Chinese Porcelain", published in 1907:

- "A genuine piece of this kind can always be identified by the shading. If looked at carefully in a good light, a bottle or vase of old " Sang-de-boeuf " will be found to shade at the neck to a yellow red ; lower down the red becomes a ruby tinge, and at the foot brownish red. The glaze is crackled."
    I don't see this on yours, but I do see crackling on the inside, which suggests some use and age.
    - Around the base there is no white peeping out from underneath the red, like in the early Sang-de-boeuf or Lang Yao wares.
    - "The glaze in a genuine piece is never run, as in the case of more modern specimens (where it will sometimes be found to have formed tears)."
    This is what you see just above the base of yours. Mind you, this is modern in 1907, which would be antique now.
    - "The base is glazed over either in apple green, grey, or pure white."
    Yours is pure white.

Just a note: I have seen authenticated pieces with no glaze on the base, so I don't know if the base should always be glazed.

10. mmarco102

My Dear AJ, you :angelic: are the best :smug:.

You made me run to the vase and check for crackle, and to my dismay I could not see any(yes, I had my reading glasses on ;) ). I almost wanted to tap it lightly all around to produce the effect, lol.

Funny thing is you honestly can not see the crackle with the naked eye no matter how hard you look for it(Lilly looked too) untill I put in into direct sun light and “kazamm” there it is :) :) :) lots of it. If you also look at the OP, third image you can see a hint due to the flash. Woot woot.....

Thank you AJ

DAA4615C-E40A-4234-9A26-99BAB2F78913.jpeg 5E89B9A9-FC70-4615-991D-2C0E9B710189.jpeg 0EB2F57A-80E3-417E-889D-CD4005C4CC84.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    Any Jewelry likes this.
  11. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

Hi Marco,
    You owe your girl dinner. Somewhere special I think. ;) What a lovely vase. Search under Chinese flambe vase and you will find dozens of examples. Often referred to as Junyao or Sang de boeuf, they commonly come in various tall vase shapes, flat bowl styles and other shapes. These vases come up for auction quite regularly. As usual with Chinese ceramics, reproductions are very common and sell here in Sydney for about $100-$200. Early and vintage ones around $600-$1000. Genuine antique ones sell for a great deal more, and I do see stunning examples in the major international auction houses at times.

Given the lack of visible wear on the glaze, I am not seeing a lot of age in your vase, and the circular application of the red glaze at the top under the neck could indicate the glaze was sprayed.

I also love this style of ceramics, especially the rich lush crimson/red colour of the glaze. I have a few pieces in storage. Tell your girl she did real good. :)

images-31.jpeg images-33.jpeg images-34.jpeg Unknown-25.jpeg images-35.jpeg images-37.jpeg images-36.jpeg

mmarco102 and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted