Possible wedgwood cheese dish and cover

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Andrewjamesantiques, May 29, 2022.

1. Andrewjamesantiques

Andrewjamesantiques New Member

69A54C90-C656-419A-9BF5-192CBADE85B8.jpeg E46D4304-1020-4893-8AA2-89559F97F26F.jpeg 470D1031-D83C-41DD-9D7E-6E1364E09775.jpeg 0758280B-0DF2-439E-B8A2-7CA895A8A5F6.jpeg 4BA4E7CF-8BB0-4CDE-8203-BB6374AE8FB5.jpeg Hey everyone,

I came across this which I believe is a wedgwood cheese dish, but it also could be adams. No markings but I am sure I remember an episode of salvage hunters where Drew purchased one and said it was either company and paid a few hundred for it...

Hoping someone can help me identify it properly as I may take to auction if it's worth anything decent?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: May 29, 2022
    kyratango likes this.
  2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Welcome, please note PDF's don't show up they have to be downloaded, change the pics for jpg's then everyone will be able to see and help you.

3. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

See is you can find a faint impressed Lear on the bottom, as that seems to be a popular guess.

4. Andrewjamesantiques

5. Andrewjamesantiques

Sorry guys… added photos now into the original post. Thanks

kyratango likes this.
  6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Wedgwood often used impressed marks that may be hard to see at first. Definitely jasperware/

kyratango and bercrystal like this.
  7. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Could also be Dudson.

Houseful likes this.
  8. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

9. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

10. Andrewjamesantiques

looks slightly different as the base pattern is on the side on mine but on top on the link and the characters are slightly different.. cover knob is the same though and top cover pattern looks the same… could be a copy or just a diff variant I suppose.. don’t suppose you can see the value on that link can you?

thanks for the help sofar!!

11. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

My Wedgwood Jasper Ware shape book shows a handful of examples of what they call cheese stands. While there is great similarity, none of them are this shape with that acorn finial & the decoration on the top of the lid is different from anything shown.

The figures around the sides may be some of the same ones Wedgwood used as they were not designed by Wedgwood but copied from engraved gems, so others might easily have used the same ones. I see 2 that look like Muses. If I could see them better I might be able to tell you more & the description might help find the maker.

12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The term used here is cheese domes. You can't really call it jasperware unless it's Wedgwood: it's bisque. It is, however, sprigged. The colour isn't Wedgwood, imo and nor is the technique. Adams or maybe Dudson is more likely, althougn Dudson is chunkier. So I vote Adams.

bercrystal and Bronwen like this.
  13. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

14. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Bingo.

kyratango likes this.
  15. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I always forget Lear, it's uncommon. Why that link uses Wedgwood as a term is a mystery. And a nonsense.

BoudiccaJones and Bronwen like this.
  16. Andrewjamesantiques

Bronwen likes this.
  17. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

• SOLD FOR$169.00
    • SOLD DATEMay 31, 2020

Bronwen and komokwa like this.
  18. Andrewjamesantiques

Ok great thankyou