Log in or Sign up
Antiques Board
Home
Forums
>
Antique Forums
>
Silver
>
Possibly Egyptian or Sudanese lidded jar
>
Reply to Thread
Message:
<p>[QUOTE="Silver, post: 318010, member: 6202"]Thank you for that quick response.</p><p><br /></p><p>That is very interesting because I have identified another item of her silver (presented to her by an admirer in 1919) as being German silver made by Wilhelm Binder - Schwabisch Gmund. The Germans had a strong influence in the Ottoman Empire before the First World War so I suppose it is not surprising that German silverware found its way to Egypt around those times.</p><p><br /></p><p>Here is the hallmark of that piece (a small vase). I gather the Crescent and Crown are the marks that identify German silver:</p><p>[ATTACH=full]105709[/ATTACH]</p><p><br /></p><p>It seems that the Hanau silversmiths were a rather disreputable bunch (see <a href="http://www.ascasonline.org/articolox15.html" target="_blank" class="externalLink ProxyLink" data-proxy-href="http://www.ascasonline.org/articolox15.html" rel="nofollow">http://www.ascasonline.org/articolox15.html</a>). I wonder what older hallmarks Simon Rosenau was imitating on my piece? Or am I misunderstanding the situation?[/QUOTE]</p><p><br /></p>
[QUOTE="Silver, post: 318010, member: 6202"]Thank you for that quick response. That is very interesting because I have identified another item of her silver (presented to her by an admirer in 1919) as being German silver made by Wilhelm Binder - Schwabisch Gmund. The Germans had a strong influence in the Ottoman Empire before the First World War so I suppose it is not surprising that German silverware found its way to Egypt around those times. Here is the hallmark of that piece (a small vase). I gather the Crescent and Crown are the marks that identify German silver: [ATTACH=full]105709[/ATTACH] It seems that the Hanau silversmiths were a rather disreputable bunch (see [URL]http://www.ascasonline.org/articolox15.html[/URL]). I wonder what older hallmarks Simon Rosenau was imitating on my piece? Or am I misunderstanding the situation?[/QUOTE]
Your name or email address:
Do you already have an account?
No, create an account now.
Yes, my password is:
Forgot your password?
Stay logged in
Antiques Board
Home
Forums
>
Antique Forums
>
Silver
>
Possibly Egyptian or Sudanese lidded jar
>
Home
Home
Quick Links
Search Forums
Recent Activity
Recent Posts
Forums
Forums
Quick Links
Search Forums
Recent Posts
Gallery
Gallery
Quick Links
Search Media
New Media
Members
Members
Quick Links
Notable Members
Registered Members
Current Visitors
Recent Activity
New Profile Posts
Menu
Search
Search titles only
Posted by Member:
Separate names with a comma.
Newer Than:
Search this thread only
Search this forum only
Display results as threads
Useful Searches
Recent Posts
More...