Possibly Old Southwest Pot

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by artsfarm, Nov 25, 2016.

1. artsfarm

artsfarm Active Member

Hi,
    I have three ceramic pieces that I've had forever, and can't find anything definitive on them as to who/where/when. I'm hoping someone will be able to help. The muted colors, texture and incised design on this pot make me think it's quite old, but really, I have no idea. The clay is a buff color with a hint of pink in it, and rough like stoneware. It's about 8" tall with the lid, which doesn't fit well; it's a little big for the pot. It's lightly mottled all over, including the unglazed areas inside the lid and underneath (firescale?) which looks like it's under the glaze. The donut shapes with the dots at the foot are applied, and it has 3 feet that follow the shape. The glaze is not glossy at all, very smooth and mellow. You can see evidence of crude tool marks from when it was thrown and shaped, and the incised desogn is just deep enough to keep the colors separate. POT1.jpg POT2.jpg POT3.jpg POT4.jpg POT5.jpg POT1.jpg POT2.jpg POT3.jpg POT4.jpg POT5.jpg The other two pieces are posted separately.
    Thanks! :)

gimbler-dave and lauragarnet like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I don't see any southwest here...

3. artsfarm

artsfarm Active Member

Sorry about the 2 sets of photos; I have no idea what happened there lol

4. artsfarm

artsfarm Active Member

That was just a guess, going by the decoration. What do you think? I'm stumped.

5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Idle guess would be South American - Chile, Peru, like that.

artsfarm and lauragarnet like this.
  6. artsfarm

artsfarm Active Member

Thanks, I'll check that out :)

7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Agree, not American Southwest. I think Mexico or points further South.

artsfarm likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted