Featured Possibly very old silver coil cuff? Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by spartcom5, Dec 17, 2022.

1. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

Found this old looking cuff. I was interested in it because of how it looked. It looks really old and is worn quite a bit but still has a good look. I can't find anything similar online and was hoping you all could help. The seller said it was possibly russian but I don't think that's right... there are no markings
    20221217_143903.jpg 20221217_143931.jpg 20221217_155820.jpg 20221217_143947.jpg

Lucille.b, stracci, Figtree3 and 12 others like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Figtree3, judy, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  3. spartcom5

Well that'd be quite the find if mine was real. Thanks for that link!! I feel silly for bending mine to fit my wrist now if it is real lol...

KSW, judy, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  4. komokwa

but if it is.............
    [​IMG]

5. spartcom5

I will be reaching out to a few antiquities dealers and getting a proper xrf analyze test. The wear on my piece is incredible and it'd be hard to imagine it being a more modern fake...!

Figtree3, KSW, judy and 2 others like this.
  6. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Looks great to me. I would have guessed old (thinking maybe 19th C as opposed to ancient but really no clue) and Stans. Super curious. Love this-my kind of piece!

@Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry, KSW, judy and 1 other person like this.
  7. spartcom5

Figtree3, reader, KSW and 3 others like this.
  8. reader

reader Well-Known Member

KSW, judy and kyratango like this.
  9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It sure wants to be!

KSW and judy like this.
  10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@spartcom5, I love your cuff/bracelet! I don't know if yours is an ancient piece or not, but in looking at it, I wonder if it might be oxidized Sterling silver.....I have a necklace (was my Mom's) that part of it has that treatment on it.....just the twisted oxidized sterling bit...not the otherwise unique carving/engraving on yours? Your bracelet made me think of my necklace!!!

KSW, judy and kyratango like this.
  11. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

No carving/engraving on the piece,the wires were fused much like the granulation process with small spheres.

judy and kyratango like this.
  12. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Wow! It DOES look ancient to me:woot: Fantastic find!
    That estimate in the auction link is so low... I wonder how much it was hammered :rolleyes:

Aquitaine, judy and komokwa like this.
  13. komokwa

where may I ask , did u find this..?

judy likes this.
  14. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

Google I telling me that it is a viking raven bracelet. The detail on the head rings true to this with the silver granules and braided wire. Authentic items are chemically soldered with a paste. This is then flashed in a fire momentarily. If anything moves that's it. Melt it down and start again. My dad's neighbour is a viking enthusiast and got him making viking jewellery the original way.

judy likes this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is gorgeous, spart.:happy:
    I agree old and possibly the Stans. That heavy coiled technique is used in other parts of Asia as well, so it is worth looking further. That wire circle decoration is also found in different parts of Asia, including Afghanistan. And snakes, symbols of the earth, fertility, and protection in many parts of the world.

The style bears no resemblance at all to Achaemenid silver and gold items, I have no idea how that link came about. But as we know, once one seller uses it, others follow.

The patina and wear are consistent with daily use for several decades, just like most ethnic jewellery. That is one of many things that makes ethnic jewellery so attractive.

Below, similar wear on the circle and spiral decoration of my 20th century Afghan silver and lapis (base) kohl bottle.

Afghanistan silver and lapis lazuli 002 - kopie.JPG

reader, Dessert58, IvaPan and 3 others like this.
  16. spartcom5

Thank you to all for the input! One thing I didn't realize until looking at it closer is that on the inside of the coil there appears to be a brown crust all over. I suspect it was perhaps under ground at one point and someone cleaned it thoroughly but couldn't get the dirt that was hard to reach? Anyhow I've sent pictures to antiquity dealers and am awaiting a response!

Figtree3, Houseful, reader and 2 others like this.
  17. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Or it was 'browned' with a natural substance. Maybe the result of henna on the arms of the wearer.
    And in some parts of Asia they use certain substances to add colour to gold or silver. Sometimes pigments, sometimes mashed fruit, for instance tamarind.

reader and Houseful like this.
  18. spartcom5

I had this bracelet authenticated awhile ago by Bob Dodge. The xrf analyzer test came out to be a composition commonly found in Roman times. The bracelet was ID'ed as a Sasanian Era cuff roughly 450 AD. The hole in the bracelet head was due to a poor casting back when it was made. It was a very nice find indeed and Bob was confident in saying it would sell easily at an auction of sorts if I decided to sell it of course.

19. JewelryPicker

JewelryPicker Well-Known Member

Very nice, thanks for the update!

kyratango, reader and Bronwen like this.
  20. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Congratulations, a wonderful result :joyful:

kyratango likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted