Possum Belly Baker's Table?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by spaghetina, May 20, 2016.

1. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

As to the name "Possum Belly," I had heard that name for for a type of **drawer** found in Baker's cabinets and not for the whole cabinet since I was young - born and raised in New England. In New England I never saw these type of drawers, but was acquainted with Hoosiers. The name always puzzled me for I couldn't image what it looked like. I didn't see such a table with "possum belly" bottom drawers until well into my adult years in the mid-south, and I bet I have only seen a couple. I have seen many in magazine, kitchen articles, etc. It seems to me only the drawers were called possum belly, not the whole cabinet/table.

Like Pat/Clutter and Brad said the "Hoosiers" were not made only by the Hoosier Mfg. Co. but also by such companies as Sellers, Kitchen Maid, Coppes Napanee and Boone to name a few.

"The cabinets [Hoosiers] evolved from bakers’ cabinets that were popular during the 1800s. These baker’s cabinets were simple, often homemade, with a set of shelves for storage, a work surface, and drawers. There were often “possum belly” drawers to hold flour and sugar. These drawers would be of tin to protect the contents from rodents. The countertop was first made of wood, and then later zinc, aluminum, and porcelain. The legs ended in casters, both for ease of moving the cabinet and to keep the ants out of it.

"In about 1900 Hoosier took the bakers' cabinet a few steps further and added many improvements to help the homemaker."

--- Susan

lauragarnet likes this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Well, Y'all have me totally cornfuscated!!!!! But just for my own sake.....you're talking about "it" having two tops......maybe if there are two slides (as shown in the pic attached) the second sits on the slides for the dough rolling or whatever????? And, me personally, I'd get that paint off that puppy SO FAST your head would spin......that's just me though!!!!:smug::smuggrin::smug::smuggrin::smug::smuggrin:

TableSlideOut.jpg

lauragarnet likes this.
  3. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

This brought back a memory from my childhood. My friend's great grandmother had two tops to her table. One top was smoother and she used it for rolling dough that had to be very thin. The extra top was not painted but I don't recall what the other top looked like. I remember watching her sprinkle flour on the smoother board each time she flipped the dough to roll it out even thinner. She would hold the dough up to the light or the light from the window and would continue to roll until it was thin enough. I'm guessing it had to be transparent to be thin enough. I don't know what they called it. She made a mixture that she spread on the dough and rolled it up like a jelly roll. I guess like a strudel. It was a big deal in their family because once word got out that she made it, all the aunts, uncles and cousins would show up to get some.

spaghetina, lauragarnet and Bakersgma like this.
  4. Aquitaine

HA!!! I LOVE that!!!!!!!:D:D:D

5. spaghetina

spaghetina New Member

Oh, I definitely want the paint off! I've never refinished anything in my life, aside from cast iron, and the one wood side table that I started sanding, and quit about 5 minutes into it. :p If you were going to strip it, how would you go about it? Will a sander do it, or would I need (or have a better time with) paint stripper?

6. Aquitaine

Personally, I would use a good quality thick liquid paint stripper.....use the gloves and plenty of fresh air.....don't try to do a large area all at once either!!

spaghetina likes this.
  7. spaghetina

spaghetina New Member

Awesome! I'll look into that. This is going to be an interesting first project...

8. nmbugs

nmbugs New Member

One was just listed for sale in my area and I wanted to learn about it. That was when I happened upon your post. Then I found this wonderful article about s different kinds of baking tables. The possum belly is included in it:
    http://antiquesqa.blogspot.com/2011/12/ultimate-all-in-one.html?m=1

9. nmbugs

nmbugs New Member

One was just listed for sale in my area and I wanted to learn about it. That was when I happened upon your post. Then I found this wonderful article about s different kinds of baking tables. The possum belly is included in it:
    http://antiquesqa.blogspot.com/2011/12/ultimate-all-in-one.html?m=1

10. Alan Bradley

Alan Bradley New Member

My son just picked up one as well! First one that I have ever seen. I have an original Hoosier.

lauragarnet and KingofThings like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted