Featured Post Your Halloween Antiques & Collectables Here!

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Joe2007, Oct 30, 2019.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

a paper lantern from Germany hanging out with a couple of Kit Cat clocks. His ears came off over the years, they are inside for safekeeping, his colour is still good, I keep him out of the sunlight.
    DSCF2945.jpeg DSCF2937.jpeg DSCF2939.jpeg

2. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

some of my die-cuts. Last time I counted there were 100+, lots of doubles and a few triples.
    The easel back ones are large, the devil is almost 20"H, the cats and witch are 15"H
    DSCF2931.jpeg DSCF2928.jpeg DSCF2929.jpeg DSCF2926.jpeg DSCF2923.jpeg DSCF2952.jpeg

3. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thanks pearls, I love Halloween:)
    3R47.gif

4. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

OMG, I love those, CX. The diecuts are ...to die for! :woot:

The paper lantern...that kind of thing is so rare because I think they tore, people discarded them, etc. Really beautiful.

LOVE vintage tin Halloween, the noisemakers, etc. Quite the collection. Thanks for posting. :)

Can't come close, but will post a few. Braved the snow to take this last night at 10:30pm... My loan vintage pumpkin. First with flash:

ahal1.jpg
    More what it actually looks like:

ahal2.jpg

Completely forgot I picked this up at the thrift about 6 weeks ago. It is just a 2017 Target item if you can believe it. Plays two songs and the fingers move. It became part of my Halloween outfit last Saturday.

ahal3.jpg
    And was going through some photos this am and happened upon my blow-mold witch, sold a few years back:

ahall1.jpg

In the same file of photos here is another one, since sold. :vulcan::vulcan:

ahall1a.jpg Oops!
    ahall1b.jpg

5. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Very nice Lucille. Snow??? Oy vey.
    Now we have the answer. Frankenstein wears boxers. LOL

6. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

7. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Really love these, they have style! Are they rare? I know nothing about Royal Daulton.

Lucille.b, cxgirl and lloyd249 like this.
  8. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Lucille.b, cxgirl and lloyd249 like this.
  9. BMRT

BMRT Jewelry cherry-picker, lover of silver

Going to add this here since the guilloché on this compact is spiderwebs: 0B622387-6494-455E-AA25-FEC86B0D5D30.jpeg

10. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

I love the pumpkin in the window, he is lighting the way:) Blow molds are some of favourite pieces, they are so much fun all lit up. That hand playing the piano is very cool:) so what was your costume?
    actually many of them didn't survive because they were made to have candles inside, so, as would be expected they would catch fire:( here is a double sided cardboard lantern from the 1940s, he didn't have paper inserts when sold.
    DSCF2964.jpeg DSCF2965.jpeg DSCF2966.jpeg

11. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

they are pressed cardboard, most of the ones I have are from Germany, circa 1920s. You have to be careful of reproductions - the ones from Germany will always have Germany stamped into it somewhere, here are a couple of examples, one also has an ink Germany stamp.
    Books are handy to have, lots of information in them so if you see them cheap grab them.
    Warning - Halloween is additive, it starts with just one postcard and then before you know you are hooked:)
    DSCF2953.jpeg DSCF2956.jpeg DSCF2958.jpeg DSCF2960.jpeg DSCF2961.jpeg
    DSCF2967.jpeg
    DSCF2967.jpeg
    DSCF2969.jpeg
    DSCF2969.jpeg

12. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

yes, it certainly has the Halloween appeal, I love it:)

13. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing that info cxgirl. We had some in the 1960's, but they were from the 1960's or thereabouts. Yours are boo-tiful.

14. Lucille.b

No question, there is some real art in the older Halloween decor from the first half of the 20th century. Amazing, really. Thanks for the extra info CX. Good to remember that there is new stuff out there copying the older. Look for the GERMANY stamp. Great advice.

Vintage stuff from the 50s/60s is also collected. Frankenstein in the boxers, for example. :vulcan:

Just remembered I retained photos from this absolute score I found 2 years ago, just before Halloween at the thrift for $3.99. Almost dropped dead when I saw it. Did some research as to prices, and put it up as a BIN. Sold it in 15 minutes on Ebay for $475.

Tin, Louis Marx, 1960's plus or minus. If memory serves, there were a few things that didn't work, but pretty cool, right? Made a few noises, too. The buyer was so happy with it. I guess he collects old tin Halloween like this, was happy to try to get the thing working 100%, and always wanted this version.

ah3.jpg ah4.jpg ah5.jpg ah6.jpg ah7.jpg ah8.jpg

15. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Lucille - that is absolutely fantastic!!!! It must have almost killed you to sell it.

16. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

yup, it isn't just old stuff that is collectible, some great pieces from the 1950s, 60s and 70s that are very desirable:) Even some of the modern pieces have a following and will command a good dollar:)
    Wowser, that is a beauty Lucille, the holy grail Halloween Marx piece that many collectors would love to own:)
    A couple of weeks ago a fellow in a Halloween group I belong to was showing the one he owns, he bought it on Ebay, maybe the one you sold? Such a cool piece, I'm always hoping I'll come across one:) thanks for posting the photos!

komokwa and Lucille.b like this.
  17. Lucille.b

Indeed it did. You know me too well!

I never erased the pictures, lol. Forgot this one picture:

aah3.jpg
    When the door opened, this vampire guy came out, lol!

The toy took D batteries.

Amazing I sold it, usually when I get something super cool like this I have to keep it for a while... just to admire it, get tired of it, but Halloween was just 10 days away and figured strike while the iron was hot.

Just checked on Ebay, they are selling for even more than 2 years ago. One in perfect working order went for $800.

The one I had did not go to Canada, so must have been a different sale.

18. Lucille.b

Here it is on Youtube! (At least half of these features didn't work on mine, hopefully the buyer was able to fix as cosmetic exterior condition was excellent.)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
    morgen94, lloyd249, cxgirl and 2 others like this.
  19. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Just a few years ago , when OBL was more relevant, put a table cloth on my head. IMG_20151031_184619435 - Copy.jpg
    not very vintage, but skeered the neighbors

Aquitaine, morgen94, lloyd249 and 3 others like this.
  20. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Sidebar.....
    the phrase 'Trick or Treat' was 1st used in print in 1927 in Alberta, Canada.

Aquitaine, morgen94, lloyd249 and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted