Featured Pottery Dog

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ascot, Dec 5, 2018.

1. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

Exactly!

So I know, I don't know what I am looking for in this field, I get it. But in my warped mind, value is in quality and or reputation earned, both of which is an obtained talent. With no disrespect to ascot’s piece, I just cant wrap my head around its value. Cute? Yes, indeed, absolutely, YES.

Artistic?.. blah, yet I’ll agree as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Even so, I dont think I would buy it, even as a door stop, I wouldn’t want it. It came from Ohio somewhere, by somebody(possibly a high school class project), they can’t even mention a company, thats all they say. I see some top quality beautiful items from the late 19th worth so much less, and it boggles me.

So bottom line, value is only what one wants at any giving moment, regardsless of value. Imho.

My sincere apologies, somebody had to say it

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    judy likes this.
  2. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Not a class project!

Given your feeling, I suspect you'll be miserable to know that the value in Staffordshire style dogs increases if they are a PAIR! That means the values above may be much lower than one half of a pair... :)

They were meant to sit on either side of a fireplace or mantle, and cruder sets emulated this pair below vvvv

Antique Pair of Early Staffordshire Disraeli Spaniels Figurine Dogs circa 1850 - (Disraeli was a popular political celebrity in GB)

[​IMG]

Even the cruder sets made for working class folks can be very valuable. If you are interested, check out real or repro?
    And wiki There are fakes being made as we speak...

This board is full of people who find this kind of junk for a living - some pick it up just because they're curious and don't mind gambling $4 to satisfy their curiosity.

For some it's a lucky buy - for others it's a no-brainer, cuz they know exactly what to look for.

I personally decided awhile ago that I want a pair - that was after I started learning about them - and still would probably have passed on this one bc I DON'T know that much about them - and he isn't part of a pair!

judy and mmarco102 like this.
  3. mmarco102

Indeed, I am aware, that I am not aware at all.

Those Disraeli pair look great. I appreciate you information as I dont want to be in the dog house, so to speak. ;)

judy likes this.
  4. scoutshouse

No apologies necessary - people who like it or buy to sell are happy if there are fewer seekers stumbling into their territory :)

You don't have to like to appreciate, anyway!

judy and mmarco102 like this.
  5. scoutshouse

Maybe this guy is simply spongeware, and therefore not one of a pair?

Sorry if I'm blending styles, genres or anything else :)

mmarco102 and judy like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

And what anyone wants to spend on it, at any given moment.
    We have a saying in Dutch, when asked about the value of something: 'whatever a crazy person will give for it'.:hilarious:
    You now officially know the art and antiques trade.:D

7. mmarco102

That might explain the IKEA anomaly. :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. Zinnie

Zinnie Well-Known Member

@ascot So are you going to call him Bob? Or maybe just SpongeDogNoPants? :hilarious:

To quote @mmarco102 - My sincere apologies, somebody had to say it. ;) :D

dgbjwc, cxgirl, scoutshouse and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted