Featured Pottery wall hanging-vintage?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Boland, Oct 29, 2022.

1. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

2. Woutinc

Woutinc .wordpress.com

About €100 you can have one :D
    https://www.marktplaats.nl/v/antiek...groene-fles-uit-17e-of-18e-eeuw-een-kattenkop
    But it's not about the bottle ....

Still looking for that guy. Can't stand that i can't remember why i think i recognize him but can't remember from where or what.
    Thinking: Old god of drinking, between flowers so honey wine? So old god?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2022
    Boland likes this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It's not about the bottle but the bottle may provide a regional clue as to origin. Figure may be taken from a folk tale.

Debora

Woutinc, Any Jewelry and Boland like this.
  4. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

@Any Jewelry

Hi AJ. I did e-mail both museums a few days ago (and send photos) but unfortunately no response as yet. I will post their reply if they they do respond.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It could take more time than usual, with Covid etc.

Boland likes this.
  6. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

@Any Jewelry
    @Ownedbybear

Just for your interest,I was happy to receive this comment and info below from a very helpful (and kind) lady from the Keramik Museum,Westerwald

“this is really a very nice plate! I can not quite see in the photos whether the stand ring was subsequently removed or whether the bottom is original quite flat. In any case, the suspension was subsequently drilled through. Originally, such an object was not meant to be hung, but stood on a table.

We actually specialize in stoneware here at the museum, however I was looking for a comparison in our library. The motif of a man drinking is not uncommon, but rather found on wall tiles. Yet the subjects are never depicted unclothed! The flat shape is also unusual. Where did you get the object? One must always be careful in the art trade.

Otherwise, the type of painting and also the style is typical for the Lower Rhine. There could be various places of manufacture, such as Hüls, Issum, Schaephuysen, Sevelen or Tönisberg. I have seen similarities to pottery from these places, but no direct comparison. As I said, the flat shape is rather unusual.

I hope this information will help you a bit. Feel free to contact me again”

[​IMG]

7. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Well that's an interesting and encouraging letter!

komokwa and Boland like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Very nice reply, and she really took the time to research it, as far as she could.
    Nice to have confirmation that it does bear resemblance to Lower Rhine ceramics. That gives you something to research further.
    So glad my mother dragged us to all those ceramics museums and makers.:joyful: Just kidding, we didn't need to be dragged, it was very interesting. And even though ceramics aren't my main focus, I remember most of the wonderful styles she collected.

komokwa and Boland like this.
  9. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Agreed. I think the museum lady really made a effort and that’s just great of her (she is clearly a asset to that museum) It’s also clearly evident that your mother did more than something right!! (Ha ha)

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  10. Woutinc

Woutinc .wordpress.com

Yeah, thats what i recognized it from :joyful:

11. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

This may have nothing to do with it ...

GERMANY IN THE 18TH CENTURY
    ... In 1740 Prussia invaded Silesia (an Austrian possession).

On 10 April 1741, the Prussians defeated the Austrians at the battle of Mollwitz. At first, the battle went well for the Austrians. Their cavalry defeated the Prussian cavalry and Frederick fled from the battle. However, the Prussian infantry stood and fought. They overcame both the Austrian cavalry and the Austrian infantry. As a result, Prussia won the battle. Austria made peace in 1742 but the peace did not last long.

War began again in 1745. The Prussians won a series of battles at Hohenfriedberg on 4 June, at Soor on 30 September, and at Hennersdorf on 23 November. Frederick II ended the war in December 1745 with his territory enlarged.

from ... https://localhistories.org/a-brief-history-of-germany/

Draft saved Draft deleted