Featured Potties: Brush? Blended Glaze jard

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by *crs*, Sep 13, 2017.

1. *crs*

*crs* Hippy Dippy Antiquer

I'm thinking this 8" tall x 9 1/2"diameter jardinière is a Brush Blended Glaze Jard by the shape I'm seeing in my Brush/McCoy book. The pattern is very hard to distinguish. Looking for confirmation or other identification. Thank you. BrushJard.JPG BrushJard2.JPG BrushJard3.JPG BrushJard4.JPG BrushJard5.JPG BrushJard6.JPG

Christmasjoy, Ghopper1924 and judy like this.
  2. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hi crs - Which book are you looking at and what page? The colors looks right but the shape of the jardiniere is bothering me. Most Brush jardinieres don't come in at the bottom. Usually they flare out a little bit and sit on a ring. It might help if I knew what you're using as a possible reference.
    Don

Christmasjoy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  3. *crs*

Looks like I'm not receiving notifications again. Don, Huxford's Brush-McCoy pg.66 the top is almost identical. On pg 82 there is one that has the indentation but it seems to be more pronounced. Different top though. On page 88 there are a couple more that have the same top. I see what you meant about flaring out at the bottom. I was concentrating on the top and missed the fact about the bottom section being indented in. UUGGHH!! back to square 1 it seems.
    Carl

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I have the Huxford book so I see the resemblance. I don't want to tell you it's not Brush-McCoy because that color scheme is a pretty good tell and I don't think all Brush-McCoy jards have been catalogued. I was going through Sanford's book and noticed the similarity in the top of several jards to yours. I wish that pattern was just a little clearer but either the mold was at the end of its life or the glaze was just very thick. The other possibility would be Weller. I've seen a number of jards with that brushed brown bottom that have been attributed to them. Regardless, it's a very nice blended glaze jardiniere. Sorry I couldn't give you a more definitive answer.
    Don

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  5. *crs*

Thanks Don. Weller was another I was running across in my research with the same type of brushed bottom. As near as I can tell the pattern looks like a fern or seaweed. To the left of that it looks like possibly seashells?
    Carl

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    Christmasjoy and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted