Featured Potties: Japanese? Blue Delft? vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by *crs*, May 31, 2023.

1. *crs*

*crs* Hippy Dippy Antiquer

Good morning folks. Could someone please verify that I do have a Japanese Blue Delft vase and what it says on the bottom? About 7 3/4" tall x 4 3/4" bottom diameter. Would this be considered a tulip vase? Thank you DelftVase.png DelftVase2.png DelftVase3.png DelftVase4.png DelftVase5.png DelftVase6.png

judy, pearlsnblume and Figtree3 like this.
  2. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Could be Delft but could be Italian.

judy and Houseful like this.
  3. *crs*

I think that is a Japanese character? I thought it was Italian at first until I saw that but the A - D is confusing

laura9797, judy and Figtree3 like this.
  4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

It could be a Japanese character... also could be a stick figure of sorts. Wish I knew more!

laura9797, judy and *crs* like this.
  5. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

It doesn't seem to conform with any normal Japanese/Chinese characters so I think you can rule that out. Agree it looks like a stick figure.

6. *crs*

Google images was giving me Japanese characters that looked real close in shape. I have no ides

laura9797 and judy like this.
  7. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

It looks Italian or Italian style to me.

I did look through Walter's book without seeing anything close. There were two firms that used AD in their marks though marks shown were different. They were Agostinelli & Del Pra and Alba-Docilia just in case you wanted to know.

What it sort of looks like to me is a hastily drawn old lantern/lighthouse mark of Savona. I'm wondering if it's a modern-ish version.

Here are some examples of a lantern/lighthouse though I can't vouch for the authenticity of either of these.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/antique18c-savona-faience-blue-white-168171150

upload_2023-5-31_13-49-59.png
    upload_2023-5-31_13-50-21.png

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/148263802_17th-c-savona-italy-faience-plate-di-albisola

upload_2023-5-31_13-52-40.png

upload_2023-5-31_13-51-15.png

Figtree3, laura9797, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  8. *crs*

Thank you sis. That definitely looks like a possibility

judy and say_it_slowly like this.
  9. *crs*

I think you are onto something sis, Alba-Docilia backstamp is fairly close italian-artistic-ceramic-vase-by-alba-docilia-1930s-5.jpg

10. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

This is what Walter had in his book, Italian Pottery Marks From Cantagalli to Fornasetti, for Alba-Docilia.

[​IMG]

By Walter Del Pellegrino

Figtree3, laura9797, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  11. *crs*

Thank you sis

komokwa, judy and say_it_slowly like this.
  12. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Great -- Progress!

laura9797 and say_it_slowly like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted