Potties: Need help with maker/origin or vase... Japanese? Chinese?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Studio Antiques, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Studio Antiques

Studio Antiques Well-Known Member

Need help identifying the maker/origin of this vase. There is an impressed mark on the back side, looks Japanese or possibly Chinese. It was hard to get a decent picture of the mark, sort of looks like “t=”.
    Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

DF5FA126-41B8-459B-AE32-FB35E88823F6.jpeg CC3EA83C-39AD-49D9-8558-A9FD39716FE6.jpeg 36BCE7AA-29C4-4C66-8962-8E79747C3F84.jpeg 7986C814-1C71-48C8-979F-3A8B45647304.jpeg 262F32B9-46BA-4D79-9FE7-D427A75E2590.jpeg

pearlsnblume likes this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

OH, I love those, and know I've seen them around in the past!!!! The kind/name totally eludes me at the moment......hopefully someone will come up with it sooner....meanwhile I'll see what I can do to make the mark more "visible"!! BTW, What size is it??? It doesn't look like there's a handle, so I'm assuming NOT a mug?? Every time I go to rotate the image the shadows all change around and make it nearly invisible!!! HOWEVER, I keep thinking I'm seeing an animal.....like a horse or a llama....when I've blown the image up.......SO I've left it upside down.....head is down toward the left....legs are up in the air towards the right.....at least that's what I'm seeing.....which I readily admit may be ALL WRONG!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

ZZZ SCREEN SHOT.jpg

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    Studio Antiques likes this.
  3. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

Probably studio. Reminds me of a face jug, but everything is wrong: clay, glaze, and the makers usually write their names and year on the bottom.
    Patd

4. JayC

JayC Member

I believe they call them "ugly mugs"...if you google that you'll come up with all kinds and variations. Although I don't recognize your mark, they're made here, in the U.S., and have been around since the 1970s...and are still being made today. I've had a couple and when I'm in a mood; I drink out of them.

Figtree3 and Studio Antiques like this.
  5. Studio Antiques

Thank you everyone for your help!

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Aquitaine writes.........BTW, What size is it??? It doesn't look like there's a handle, so I'm assuming NOT a mug??

...And deserved an answer.......! :sour:

I know you have a life to lead & other things on your mind...but this place serves you well.....and often...& must be a great boon to you !

I will no longer plead with you to put up sizes with your items....
    I'll leave it to others to decide if they wish to continue to deal with this....

Komo out !

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  7. Studio Antiques

You are absolutely right and I apologize. There’s no excusing it and it is a mistake I will do my best not to make again. Thank you for your honesty, Komo.

8. Studio Antiques

Sorry for the delay in reply and thank you for all your help! You’re right, no handle and it is approximately 7.5” tall

Draft saved Draft deleted