Featured Prayer Beads? Amber?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by cxgirl, Jul 4, 2019.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Hi all, I found these in a box of stuff I'm going through. I thought maybe amber on the gold colour ones, tested it for static and no go. Put it under a blacklight with the other one and a couple of known amber pieces to compare. I'm still thinking no to amber, what do you think? Maybe some sort of plastic for the two of them? They don't test for bakelite. The both have a couple of beads with inclusions/marks on them. New off the boat?
    Are these considered prayer beads? Is there supposed to be a certain number of beads on a string?
    any information appreciated
    thanks for looking:)
    DSCF4895.jpg DSCF4886.jpg DSCF4893.jpg

Prayer beads and amber pieces in natural light
    DSCF4905.jpg
    No light
    DSCF4904.jpg

under a blacklight
    DSCF4903.jpg

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The bug and the odd shaped beads are amber. The prayer beads might well be bakelite. They often were.

Figtree3, judy and cxgirl like this.
  3. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thanks evelyb30:) I should have mentioned they don't test for bakelite, just changed my post.

Figtree3, judy and komokwa like this.
  4. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Can't help cxgirl, they remind me of caramel candies. I think I have a sweet tooth.
    Love your Snoopy avi.

Any Jewelry, judy, cxgirl and 2 others like this.
  5. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

I'm with you pearls, they do look like caramels:) I have a sweet tooth too!

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

A bit late to the party.:shame:
    The beads are komboloi or worry beads, rather than prayer beads. There are too few beads for any type of rosary. The beads could be faturan.

The amber bug is Soviet Art Deco, which continued to be made well into the 40s. They also made spiders, and sailboats with beautifully bellowing amber sails. The amber is gorgeous Baltic egg yolk to caramel amber.
    I don't really see what kind of bug it is, could it be missing something?

cxgirl, komokwa and pearlsnblume like this.
  7. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Wow, sorry AJ, I didn't see your reply - thank-you:) I wondered about the number of beads, wasn't sure if there had to be a certain number or not. Worry beads, I will check them out.
    I wondered about faturan, I just don't know. I don't think I have ever held or seen faturan before, so I wouldn't know it if I had it. I've looked on-line about it but it is clear as mud to me:confused:
    The bug I've shown before, it is missing the pin. I was using that and the necklace to compare under a blacklight, I thought it would help me figure the beads out.

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

That's ok, it has been a while since you started the thread.:)
    Join the club.:D
    Faturan is mainly a myth. If an amber lookalike originates from the eastern Mediterranean, it is often called faturan, right or wrong.
    Real faturan is said to contain frankincense and should smell that way when warm. (In plastic bag in hot water.)
    I don't really know why there is a faturan hype, but there is.;)

cxgirl likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted