pre 1903 gray and sons horse carriage

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by thedifference, Mar 1, 2016.

1. thedifference

thedifference New Member

I just acquired an old gray and sons horse carriage. im told it is pre 1903. the only thing I can find on the internet is that there are a few in chatham Ontario Canada in a museum and they sound rare. anyone know anything about these? possible value?

2. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Hola, and welcome.
    I'm no carriage expert, but... some here may be able to help you. I'm confident that they will need pictures in order to do so.
    Good luck!

3. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

4. thedifference

thedifference New Member

I have more pics but it is not letting me upload them

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I suspect that's because they are huge, although I see them in your Media Album. They take forever to load, though.

You could try using the Media Gallery Embed icon in the tool bar above the Reply Box. It's the camera.

6. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

The full view of each of your pictures in the Gallery are huge. If you had cropped and resized them before uploading, they would have easily been inserted into your query. Just about all generic graphic programs has the capability to resize and crop pictures, even the generic Paint program that comes with windows. There are many freebie graphic editing programs out there that are very easy to use. Pics posted on forums really shouldn't be much over 150 KB weight-wise and not over 650px wide so that all types of media can easily load to view them. The pics:
    Weight-wise: range from 2,065 KB to 5,335 KB
    Dimensional-wise: 3024px wide x 4032px high

I have taken the liberty of cropping and resizing one of your pics to insert into this thread.
    Original size:
    weight-wise: 1.97 MB = 2,019 KB = 2,066,626 bytes
    dimensional-wise: 3024px wide x 4032px high

Edited size:
    weight-wise: 56.8 KB = 58,195 bytes
    dimensional-wise: 600px wide x 534px high

Here is a link to his pics in the gallery. If you click them, they open to huge pics that is nearly impossible for my iPad to open.
    https://www.antiquers.com/media/albums/pre-1903-gray-and-sons-horse-carriage.64/

--- Susan

Carriage4.jpg

pewter2 likes this.
  7. Ladybranch

Here another of your pics showing the Gray & Son sign. I have cropped and edited: brighten, contrast and sharpened/clarified it.

Original:
    Weight-wise: 1.48 MB = 1,526 KB = 1,526,000 bytes
    Dimensional-wise: 3024px wide x 4032px high

Edited:
    Weight-wise: 14.7 KB = 15.111 bytes
    Dimensional-wise: 550px wide x 209px high

--- Susan

Carriage3.jpg

afantiques and yourturntoloveit like this.
  8. Ladybranch

From biographies on the internet about the Gray & Son Co., it seems the Wm. Gray started the Gray & Co carriage company in 1883. His son Robert carried on the business after his father died. Sometime in the late 1890s they started making auto bodies also like for Ford. They continued for some time making carriages, Ford auto bodies and farm equipment. In 1911 R. Gray merged the company with a Campbell resulting in a change of name to "William Gray-Sons-Campbell Limited." With your carriage carrying the name of only Gray & Son, "pre 1903" is probably close. Carriages built between 1883-1911 would only have the Gray & Son as name.
    http://www.biographi.ca/en/bio/gray_robert_15E.html

I have no knowledge of carriages and if no one has any help for you on the forum, desperate_fun's advise of contacting a museum is probably your best bet.

--- Susan

Edit: Just looked at that bio of the Gray Company again. I missed the following on the first reading.

"On 5 Jan. 1899 William Gray and Sons Company Limited was incorporated."

To show my ignorance, would limited have been added to the name when it was incorporated??? If so, this would narrow the timeframe for your carriage to between 1899 and 1911 because Limited is on the sign.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  9. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Amazing work, Ms. Branch!

10. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Draft saved Draft deleted