Featured Pre-Depression Family Farm Photos

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by wiscbirddog, Jan 28, 2015.

1. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

GrandadB.jpg GrandadB2.jpg First picture is of my Grandfather, with his team of horses, breaking sod in Tony, Wisconsin, 1928.

Second picture was taken in June 1929. Grandfather is 'plowing' the garden with my father riding the huge, white horse.

Sadly, my Grandfather lost his farm during The Great Depression.

2. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

Wonderful photos!

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Very cool to have pics of their "daily life." So many "old relative" pics are the stiff formal portraits that rarely give us a glimpse of what our ancestors were really like.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  4. maryislgal

maryislgal Well-Known Member

5. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

grandpa clarence.jpg I am also from Wisconsin, and here is a photo of my grandfather Clarence in a logging camp near Mountain on the south branch of the Oconto River.
    About 1908/1910.
    He is the tall guy in the back.

6. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    The second photo of the kid on the horse plowing could have been me. My gramp when he got older just plowed a small plot.
    greg

7. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

8. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Young SoS on the farm
    eagle.jpg

9. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Terry5732, love the sweet photo, especially the cute little child and the way the horse is reacting to the large statuary.

To the left side of the photo near the bushes at the side of house -- it that the young child's tricycle and the rear-wheel portion of a child's wagon? Just curious -- again, a very sweet photo.

10. terry5732

Not quite a child's wagon
    home9.jpg

cxgirl, Lulululu, Happy! and 2 others like this.
  11. terry5732

12. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

A selfie! How cool.

13. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

14. spirit-of-shiloh

Love old pics. Is that YOU mowing the lawn? :D

15. terry5732

The new Hubley tractor and babysitter on wheels
    home6.jpg

16. spirit-of-shiloh

That little girl,sister? is a little doll :)

17. Happy!

Happy! Well-Known Member

Wonderful pics you all are sharing. The OP's pictures reminded me of my grandparents' story.

My grandparents, just married, bought their "dream home" with what little they had saved. Grandma loved the bay window it had, pretty fancy back then!

They barely got to live it in when the Depression hit and they lost their house and all that money.

They bought a pretty beat up old house and lived there until they died. Mom recalls Gpa bringing flour from the mill to make a paste to fill in the holes in the walls during the Dust Bowl. It never completely worked.

They were very stoic about it all, but G'ma always yearned for the bay window in the lost house.

My mother recently moved into a house with a bay window and it often makes her remember her Mom.

18. terry5732

Ya gotta mix some straw with the paste
    field1b.jpg

19. spirit-of-shiloh

I ALWAYS wanted a bay window and a built in seat to relax on and read or just look out at nature. :(

Lulululu likes this.
  20. Lulululu

Lulululu New Member

That is quite a horse! I had to google white draft horses. It might be a Boulonaise aka/white marble horse.

Your grandfather was in good company - I wonder how many others here had families that lost their land? My mother's family owned Squaw Valley in California, but it wasn't their only property or source of income, and it is now a ski area that makes a lot of people happy. Kind of a best case scenario.

Draft saved Draft deleted