Featured Pre-Raphaelite Minton Tile 1875 Monogrammed?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Nathan Lindop, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Nathan Lindop

Nathan Lindop 1: “?” 2: “!”

Hi again,

I've seen this tile but am struglling with the monogram. Can anybody tell what it says? Or indeed whose it is?

The back of the tile doesnt hold any clues unfortunately.

Looks like an A but unsure after that. Could Be AG but nothing shows up in searches still

Screenshot_20200813_110629.jpg
    IMG_20200813_110823_624.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi, I actually don't see it as an A at all, but as ST....and am not sure on the little squiggle......could be a small 'e' or '8'.....just can't tell.....and the date speaks for itself...1875......but that's MY take on it.....

Screenshot_20200813-EDIT-gigapixel-scale-2_00x (1).jpg

Bronwen and i need help like this.
  3. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Decorated blank IMO

Figtree3, judy, Bronwen and 1 other person like this.
  4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

@Bronwen
    Could this be Psyche? I know there’s some connection to butterflies.

Rec and Bronwen like this.
  5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Yes, there's a good chance that's who artist had in mind. As you say, she is typically indicated by butterfly wing(s) on her person or whole butterflies near her. 'Psyche' means soul, life force, & this property is represented allegorically as a butterfly.

Before she is allowed to marry Cupid, Psyche has to perform labors set for her by Venus, each meant to be fatal. The last is to go down to Hades & get from Proserpina a dab of her beauty, to replace what Venus has lost in her distress at the prospect of having a mortal daughter-in-law. Psyche succeeds, with strict instructions not to look into the jar/box. Of course, she can't resist, thinking to take just a little to make herself more beautiful for Cupid, & is struck down insensible.

So both the butterflies & the little Grecian unguent jar are attributes of Psyche.

Rec and i need help like this.
  6. Bronwen

i need help likes this.
  7. Nathan Lindop

Nathan Lindop 1: “?” 2: “!”

That is a beautifully put comment @Bronwen.

You and @i need help are spot on by the looks of it! Amazing! I'm really interested in it now. It is a really beautiful thing and with the classical story its irresistible!

I bet your right too @blooey, we might have wrapped up the case. Learning alot in the post, thank you guys ;)

Rec, Bronwen, blooey and 1 other person like this.
  8. Bronwen

Thank you. :shy:

Rec and i need help like this.
  9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Y'know, on looking back up at @Nathan Lindop's 2 image down (the enlargement) HIS looks more clearly than MINE to look like script "fta" at this point......:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Rec, i need help and Bronwen like this.
  10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I don't think it's a painted blank. The image is very Minton and that looks underglaze.

Bronwen, i need help and Figtree3 like this.
  11. Ision

Ision Member

Everything depends on the BACK of this tile, which Minton company created it? Minton, Hollins & Co., or Mintons? Does the back (verso) have an address?

After the company name, the factory, which made the tile is usually embossed, such as "China Works," or "Patent Tile Works."

This tile looks like a tile from Colin Minton Campbell's factory known as, "Minton Art Pottery Studio" of Kensington Gore, London. This would make it a "Mintons" tile.

Naturally, the tile has been signed by the artist and dated. Thus, this artwork is not the product of a common decorator at Mintons, but a known artist hired by Mintons, making their identification a matter of record. The year 1875 was the LAST year any art tiles were created at the Minton Art Pottery Studio, as it burned to the ground that year.

If the tile is a Mintons, it was certainly one of the last works from this studio.

Minton, Hollins & Co. also created such tiles...so, everything rests on the design of this tiles "grip" pattern.

I am certain this tile is from a famous artist of the time and the style of the work is very familiar to me.

A short study should reveal all, once the factory is known. This could be by Rebecca Coleman (RC), who worked at the studio with William Stephen Coleman, its first Director.

Bronwen and Rec like this.
  12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I see "sta" in order which would likely be the monogrm "sat."

Debora

13. Rec

Rec Well-Known Member

do you have the information about the dimensions?
    Edit: if i'm not mistaken minton tiles would be 8 × 8 inch. (20.3 × 20.3 cm)

Bronwen likes this.
  14. Rec

Rec Well-Known Member

Bronwen likes this.
  15. Ision

Ision Member

Minton tiles came in various sizes, the most common being 15x15cm (6x6) and the more rare 8x8, plus other sizes and shapes. 4 1/2" 3x6" 6x12" 8'12" and such. The most common tile size of the era was 6x6."

16. Ision

Ision Member

Solon could be the artist of your tile, too. He is considered to be the greatest director of Mintons art. The sample tile is an extremely rare tile! The tile uses various tile making techniques, it is a majolica tile with hand painted details. Very expensive in the day. Expensive then, expensive now.

Mintons, Ltd. was a competitor to Minton, Hollins & Co.. It was the company, which owned and ran the Minton Art Pottery Studio and fits as the maker of your tile.

The artistic style fits both R.Coleman, and the woman she worked for, whose first name was Ellen, I believe. The way the face is drawn is very like their works.

Draft saved Draft deleted