Pre-Raphaelite watercolour

Discussion in 'Art' started by steve lunn, Dec 19, 2021.

1. steve lunn

steve lunn Member

I believe the lady in the picture to be Dorothy Dene but I do not know who the artist is, your thoughts on this would be appreciated,
    Steve

Attached Files:

Roaring20s and dude like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

A closer look at the areas where artists normally sign might help.

dude likes this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Why Dorothy Dene?

Debora

Seated lady beside a  globe .jpg

dude likes this.
  4. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

There is what looks like a mark or something lower right. A closer look would be needed.
    Mikey

dude likes this.
  5. CheersDears

CheersDears Well-Known Member

Can't help, but my goodness Miss Dene was stunning!

Msalicia, Any Jewelry and Roaring20s like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Interesting. She is believed to have been the model for Leighton's 'Flaming June.'

Debora

Frederic-Lord-Leighton-Flaming-June-ca-1895-Museo-de-Arte-de-Ponce-1024x1024-1-1024x1024.jpg

7. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Can you also show the back please?

KSW and 916Bulldogs123 like this.
  8. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

Whoever the artist or sitter is, it's a nice image and worth of being hung and admired. I find the furniture at the upper left distracting, but overall I like it.

It would be nice to see better lit photos. I quickly tried to adjust some of the yellow out and find a white to black range on the image. It helps to look at with better color.
    Screen Shot 2021-12-19 at 8.31.15 PM.png

Fid, antidiem, KSW and 1 other person like this.
  9. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

This looks like it's printed on cardboard and tacked to the back of a picture frame...? That's what I'm seeing.

Bronwen likes this.
  10. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

That’s an amazing painting :)

Bronwen likes this.
  11. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

She looks quite awkward, as if she doesn’t really want to be there. Or she’s been sitting there for a very long time and her posterior is numb!
    Agree about the clutter.

JayBee, Bronwen and antidiem like this.
  12. steve lunn

steve lunn Member

Hi, I'm new to this site and didn't know what to expect, so thanks for your comments so far and I will try my best to answer questions. I bought the picture from an auction house in the UK, it was described as a watercolour. It is not like a watercolour as I had been used to seeing. My research has found that the pre raphaelites used 'Laid' paper, which is smooth, they also used gouache. I'm pretty sure it is an original of the period, the paper is glued around the frame and there is a join on the right hand side, top to bottom, going through the globe. This area doesn't look as well painted particularly on the globe. I will post a shot of the back and close up of signature areas, I'm having trouble with making the 1mb limit so I'll do my best, any tips on achieving this?
    Steve

13. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

If pics are on your phone, try emailing them to yourself as size medium to resize to under the site limit.

komokwa likes this.
  14. steve lunn

steve lunn Member

Thanks, I'll try that in a little while

15. steve lunn

steve lunn Member

I think I have the picture sizing sorted Back of Seated lady 3.jpg Seated lady with globe cropped.jpg Seated lady with globe FACE.jpg Seated lady with globe cropped.jpg Seated lady with globe FACE.jpg

Figtree3 and KSW like this.
  16. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Are we seeing the frame in your photographs? I ask because... Original frames are helpful for dating.

Debora

antidiem and KSW like this.
  17. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Is this a signature?

upload_2021-12-20_8-44-7.png

Figtree3 and KSW like this.
  18. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Interesting that the details (on her dress for instance) in the foreground are sharp, but up a bit (the bodice of her dress and then her face and hair) look mushy.

antidiem, Any Jewelry and KSW like this.
  19. steve lunn

steve lunn Member

It looks like a signature but I'm not sure who, they used to do a lot of monograms. I think the dress in the foreground is more sharp in detail and colour, definitely.

antidiem and KSW like this.
  20. steve lunn

steve lunn Member

I think, on looking again, my photo quality isn't that good on the face, I'll try again later. I will take a picture of the frame as well.

antidiem, Roaring20s and KSW like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted