Pre-Raphaelite watercolour

Discussion in 'Art' started by steve lunn, Dec 19, 2021.

1. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I agree. He worked with a stronger line, brighter palette.

Debora

antidiem likes this.
  2. steve lunn

steve lunn Member

Hi, I've just had a good look generally at 'A Royal Princess' at quite a good resolution, it doesn't look to be by the same hand, his is in all areas very neat whereas mine has good detail in certain areas only.

antidiem likes this.
  3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Think this painting was extended to fit this frame. Note how the colors do not match at the seam. This would also explain the newer looking backing.

[​IMG]

Msalicia and antidiem like this.
  4. steve lunn

steve lunn Member

The Eve of St Agnes by Millais has more of a style similarity to me, not that I'm suggesting it is by Millais, more of an example of the detail being varied.

5. steve lunn

steve lunn Member

I have to agree something funny is going on with the added bit but I don't think this was uncommon, I remember reading it somewhere.

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yes, also an atmospheric interior. But oil on canvas and much more finely painted. (In the Royal Collection, by way.)

Debora

1024px-Madeleine_undressing_–_Eve_of_St_Agnes,_John_Everett_Millais.jpg

7. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Thanks, Brad. I think it was all done at the same time, but that's just my opinion. The only color that appears to be a bit different is the yellow ochre. ALL the rest of the paint colors grays, blacks, reds, appear to have been painted at the same time. Initially, I also thought the wood in the back was newer, but now I think maybe it's 1800's wood and this frame must have been very well sealed for most of its life. It's a curious piece, for sure.

You should show us this, so we don't have to wander around online. I, for one, often get distracted out there, and forget to return! ;) Anytime you can show other examples, I will want to see them!

agreed, I get the same vibe from Steve's painting. I will continue to keep my eyes open for clues..

I hope we find this one to be gouache and not oil paint..

8. Msalicia

Msalicia Well-Known Member

I’m not sure but under the flowers at the foot I think you might take a picture enlarge. It might have faint letters I think. Also I do see a 4 digit number in rear. It looks like it needs to be cleaned, having said that since it’s a gouache and water based I would be very careful to seek a reputable restorer. It’s beautiful and yes busy with what appears to be a folding room divider behind

antidiem likes this.
  9. antidiem

yes this is why to figure out if it's water based or not. Steve's latest pictures more accurately portray the surface and it doesn't look hugely thick, although waiting for confirmation that it's waterbased paint...

Msalicia likes this.
  10. antidiem

I think the original artist may have cut it down himself and reattached it, painted some ochre from the globe with it to try to blend in the cut in the globe. More ochre was used at the bottom corner than needed. But it all does look to be original paint and by the original hand. I do agree the bottom of the right corner isn't straight..

11. steve lunn

steve lunn Member

Sorry Debora it is a watercolour not oil (eve of St Agnes by Millais)

12. Msalicia

Msalicia Well-Known Member

Steve. This painting is quite the mystery. I would like to know if the wood framing (canvas) is near the addition line. (inches please) if you could also give the dimensions of the frame wood. Like 4”x 1/2” thick my-theory would be plausible or dead. Thank you.

13. steve lunn

steve lunn Member

2 3/8" x 5/8" with a bevel on the outer rear edge

14. steve lunn

steve lunn Member

The addition line is 1 1/2" in from the edge

15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Someone (but not I) should be able to date this chair. Would it be considered Renaissance Revival? Barley Twist? Cabriole legs? Along the lines of this?

Debora

Frame 2.jpeg

Screen Shot 2021-12-28 at 11.32.27 AM.png

Msalicia likes this.
  16. steve lunn

steve lunn Member

It's confirmed as Watercolour, see attached. I think the chair would be termed Gothic revival and would be mid 19th Century. Cotton bud.jpg

17. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

I also thought it was enlarged to fit the frame. If it was cut and put back, it is slightly off and doesn't line up exactly with the larger painting.

The white spots in the bouquet, might be insect damage. Have this checked by a conservator. If it is insect damage, and you do nothing, the insects will continue to eat away at the paper.

These photographs of an antique engraving show how much damage the insects can do.

P1040045rs.jpg

P1040052rs.JPG

18. steve lunn

steve lunn Member

Thanks for the advice

19. steve lunn

steve lunn Member

Debora, I apologise, we were looking at different paintings, I looked at the W/C version in the V&A also painted at the same time, by Millais, as the larger one which was in oil.

20. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

No, my apologies. Didn't occur to me there'd be two versions -- one in oil and one in watercolor.

Debora

2011FC7154.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted