Pre-Raphaelite watercolour

Discussion in 'Art' started by steve lunn, Dec 19, 2021.

1. Msalicia

Msalicia Well-Known Member

Thank you. The texture in the addition looks so different in the grain direction that I’m still questioning all the odd factors in this painting. 1st question that is just crazy to think one would find the gilt frame so important to add to the painting? Why not center the painting and add a plain colored border evenly around considering the business of the painting? Then the bold ocre color where a signature is most common? Considering the overall detail in the original section why is the blending of the addition done with obvious consideration to color matching of hues better than the bottom corner blotch? As stated by others as not straight? I am tempted to believe that this was all an attempt to fix damage. Possibly a water drip or a candle burn. Possibly why there is no apparent signature or the mono of 3 digits? You have a Pandora’s box and quite a gathering of the folks here trying to help. Sothebys, Christie’s and the like would have the art history knowledge of the players who were painting to possibly identify a style or rule out the accuracy in the description of the your purchase. If you choose this route please post findings. Thank you and good luck.

2. steve lunn

steve lunn Member

That is very interesting, if it is repair due to damage it must have been done early on because it looks in keeping when I look at the paper. That whole strip doesn't look as well painted and I'm wondering, looking at the screen behind her, whether the restorer hasn't blended into the panel next to the join to make it look more original. There is also a dark mark on the reverse of the backing paper which might add weight to your theory (see picture of paper half removed from frame).

Draft saved Draft deleted