Featured Pre-war Cavalier cedar chest with top veneer issues

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by WilliamTK1974, Jul 17, 2021.

1. WilliamTK1974

WilliamTK1974 New Member

Hello everyone,

The cedar chest bug bit hard. I just bought this pre-war Cavalier. While its outside shows some wear and veneer damage, the inside is quite nice and still quite redolent of cedar. It could have been treated at some point, but this seems more like it was kept closed for a long period of time.

I'll supply more photos, but the top veneer is quite chipped. I've never done this before, but would like to replace it. What do I need to look for regarding matching color, and should I count on using TiteBond to glue any new veneer down? I didn't buy this as an investment piece, so I'm just trying to improve its appearance and preserve what I can.

Thank you,
    -William

192826508_10159484733814374_2217521961093936885_n.jpeg

2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

3. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Yeah, unless familiar with woodworking generally, not sure I would start with veneer.
    There are so many variables involved, what kind of substrate, what kind of the many different types of veneer, paper-backed, wood-backed, etc would be best, bla bla bla. Then there are the tools, clamps, presses, etc, quite a lot going on with veneer work.

Figtree3 likes this.
  4. WilliamTK1974

WilliamTK1974 New Member

A few more pictures of the top.

820D02B2-19F1-4BD8-AF1A-009F9AA6F771.jpeg

37D284F6-42A1-4EB6-B020-296E87C367ED.jpeg

D38E9423-C536-43D1-B7A5-4D86EDFFFADB.jpeg

0466FA83-5D8A-4440-8B33-C7569302D31A.jpeg

The last one is to show the color and grain to get some ideas of what sort of veneer to try and match it.

This is a flat, horizontal surface, and I’m not trying to re-veneer a waterfall or anything like that. Given the chest’s condition, I almost feel like there’s nothing to lose by trying. Have to learn somehow.

Thank you,
    -William

Figtree3 likes this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Which war is this "pre?"

6. WilliamTK1974

WilliamTK1974 New Member

Pre World War Two. Information about Cavalier furniture seems to be hard to come by since the company went through several ownership changes, reorganizations, and at least one bankruptcy. They were made in my city. From what I’ve been able to find, cedar chests that have a brass plaque with the Cavalier inside the lid were made beginning in the 1930s until the US got involved with WWII since brass was a war commodity. Mine has a brass plaque and a holder for a presentation plaque. Upon discontinuing the brass plaque, the company burned the logo into the wood.

Figtree3 likes this.
  7. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Looks very similar to "ribbon" mahogany, an African species called Sapele mahogany.
    African-Mahogany-Ribbon_1000x.jpg

Another easier way than replacing the veneer is, wood putty & paint/stain if the missing chips are not too large.

Figtree3 likes this.
  8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Agree, mahogany. The edge slices of veneer missing should not be too hard to replace. I would just use wood glue. Be sure to clamp.

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted