Featured Presidium Gem Tester II

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Barn Owl, Dec 31, 2020.

1. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

I'm thinking about purchasing a Presidium Gem Tester II for $229. I figure it will pay for itself after a year. Does anyone have any experience using one, and if so, what do you think of it?

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

sounds steep.........does it make coffee too ??? :hilarious:

3. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

:hilarious: It's definitely a splurge, but I hate selling possibly gemstones as cubic zirconia or unknown glass/crystal.

judy and komokwa like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Well...let's see if anyone knows about it's quality !!!

Happy New Year Owl !!!!!!

judy likes this.
  5. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

I have one. I find it useful, but not as good as I thought it would be. You can distinguish glass from gemstones, but I haven't figured how to dinstinguish glass from cz. It is very clear on identifying diamonds, but does not distinguish between diamond and moissanite. It also is good to id amethyst, emerald, ruby, sapphire, garnet, topaz, and quartz, although sometimes readings are hard to interpret.
    It can be hard to distinguish nephrite, jadite, aquamarine, tanzanite, iolite because there are very close or have overlapping areas on the dial. And, it doesn't identify peridot or stones like opal, labradorite, moonstone etc.
    All in all I'm glad I have it, but more often than I'd like I am unsure of the reading it gives.

Figtree3, komokwa, Bronwen and 5 others like this.
  6. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Just don’t buy the Presidium PGI handheld one! I can explain in detail but in short she is known on here as Mary Contrary for good reason:rolleyes:

7. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

8. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I have an older model, have had it for years, I think it paid for itself within the first 6 months I had it. Yes, there are so e things it doesn't do, and some things you have to figure out by yourself. Like a lot of stones test in the quartz range (carnelian, amethyst, rock crystal, citrine) so you get the results and look at the color to determine what is probably is. It can't distinguish among natural, mad-made or enhanced stones, however it tells me what it basically is and I can take it to a jeweler if I need more detailed information.

I found it's fun to bring it when I visit my sisters and friends, we test everyone's jewelry ;)

One thing, a dirty stone will give a false reading. Make sure the stone is clean before you test.

9. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I have one, and like it. Agree with @drg642 and @Marie Forjan about some of the drawbacks. However, it is fun. I am not a seller of items, and once I tested what I had, I've only used it a few times as something else was added to my collections. I like to be able to at least distinguish the pieces that have glass "stones" from the ones that don't. As for how soon it pays for itself, since I don't sell and don't take it with me on buying trips, I can't really comment. :) I did use credit card points that paid for about half of the cost of mine when I bought it through Amazon.

KSW likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted