Featured Pressed Glass Glasses

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by bosko69, Mar 10, 2023.

1. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

I've never collected much glass,but I saw these 2 pieces at the Thrift today,and wondered-are they worth $7.99 each ? They're about 4 1/2" high,pressed not cut and I didn't see any chips/dings.
    Thanks a ton for the help.
    PS-Sorry no pics of base. GOB1.jpg GOB2.jpg

2. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

3. LauraGarnet02

4. silverbell

silverbell Well-Known Member

How festive! One could create a whole party around those!

KSW, Bakersgma, johnnycb09 and 2 others like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

ya, I would have had trouble walking away from those !!!!!;)

6. bosko69

Laura You're brilliant ! I just can't find any real world (aka not 1stDibs) values on these.

KSW likes this.
  7. LauraGarnet02

September 20, 2019, a pitcher with complete gold loss, two tumblers, one of which had two chips on the feet. Sold: $225.00 Plus 24.5% buyer's premium.
    Screenshot_20230310-174813.png
    Screenshot_20230310-174937.png
    https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/75548563_nearcut-daisy-omn-ruby-stained-three-piece-water

The glass collectors have been lamenting for quite a few years that the EAPG demand and sale prices have tanked, even before the 2019 auction listed above. Can't hardly give it away. I really don't know what is going on. Maybe there are certain patterns that are still sought after. I'm assuming you tried searching in ebay completed auctions...? Or, if you can find any in live auctions still in progress, you could watch till the end and see what happens.

8. bosko69

Laura-I'm aware of the big drop in EAPG & get really nervous with buying glass.I'll sleep better tonight-wonderful work !
    You know the stuff really is beautiful but all things have their time-prices come & go.
    Andy Warhol slumped hugely & Caravaggio was forgotten for centuries.
    Thanks again big time !

KSW and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  9. LauraGarnet02

It's a shame isn't it, this pattern was made 1910 through 1920, so they're over 100 years old, so pretty and in such good condition.

KSW likes this.
  10. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I wouldn't have pegged them for EAPG.

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  11. LauraGarnet02

@moreotherstuff What would you have thought if you came upon them and saw them for the first time in real life, if you were out poking around the junque shops?

KSW likes this.
  12. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I'd probably have thought modern and eastern European. Maybe not.

KSW and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  13. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I trhink it's the intensity of the color that's throwing me off. I've had color washed EAPG, but it's always shown very obvious wear.

Figtree3, KSW and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  14. LauraGarnet02

I think the ruby red on this glass is flashed not stained. It sure looks like it from the pictures. Doesn't look faded or worn at all.

KSW and moreotherstuff like this.
  15. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

all EAPG like this is ruby stained. look closely at the first images and you can see the uneven ruby lines that would be sharply cut if flashed

Figtree3, KSW, LauraGarnet02 and 2 others like this.
  16. LauraGarnet02

I noticed that it is kind of wavery around the edges, but it looks so thick and glossy in the pictures, I thought it just has to be glass! That Cambridge ruby stain must be tough stuff!

KSW likes this.
  17. bosko69

Well I went back & bought it-if I can't sell it,I'll stick it in the Sherlock Holmes Suite.Pretty's pretty-salable or not.
    PS-And big thanks for the help Laura.I wouldn't know Carny Glass from a Sideshow Gaff !
    CarnGlssGoblt.jpg

Houseful and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  18. LauraGarnet02

@bosko69 It just to dawned on me. Now that you have the glass at home and in hand, can you find the word nearcut on the bottom?

19. bosko69

I can't see any type on the base,but it's also like trying to tiny script in a hall of mirrors.From what I've seen-it would be in a clear flat circle in the middle of the base (raised letters I beleive).
    VASEBTTM.jpg

Last edited: Mar 14, 2023
    LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  20. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

the NEARCUT marking was often on the inside bottom of the glass, but not always included on every pattern piece

Bakersgma likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted