Featured Pressed Glass Ruby Stained Candy Dish - New or Old?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by dgbjwc, Sep 21, 2021.

1. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hello everyone - I have this ruby stained candy dish but I can't quite get a read on the pattern or the age. With the cover on the dish measures about 7 1/2" tall. It's about 5" across the opening. It's a heavy piece for it's size and rings liked leaded crystal. The feet are curled. I suspect it's a contemporary piece but wanted to run it by everyone to see if anyone recognized it. The ruby is brighter than it is in the pictures and some of the photos actually reflected gold. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.
    Don

IMG_20210921_130510865.jpg IMG_20210921_130542494.jpg IMG_20210921_130550721.jpg

Born2it, judy, LauraGarnet02 and 6 others like this.
  2. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

I would suspect it's recent, last 20 to 40 years, other opinions may vary.

3. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Thank you, Cherryhill!

judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  4. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

Reminds me of Hofbauer but I think yours is nicer.

judy, pearlsnblume and dgbjwc like this.
  5. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Thank you, ascot. I considered Hofbauer but I agree that the quality looks a little bit higher. That's one of the reasons I was a bit confused. I also looked at Anna Hutte. I was able to find some pieces with scrolled feet but nothing that matched my pattern. I think Cherryhill is right and it's contemporary. I'll just never be sure who made it. I'm downsizing a large collection of ruby stained/ruby flashed pieces and will just price it for my showcase and move on. Thanks to all who answered and all who viewed.

judy and bercrystal like this.
  6. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

BTW great photos, good luck with the item.

Born2it, judy and dgbjwc like this.
  7. Viviang

Viviang New Member

I have something very similar pedestal cake plate, bowl and pitcher. It is hofbauer as I have a label on the pitcher. it is 24% lead crystal

Last edited: Feb 16, 2022
    Born2it and judy like this.
  8. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Thank you, Vivang.

Just for the record, I did put in my showcase for $15.00 and it sold right away. I was very pleased.

pearlsnblume likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted