Pretty 2nd bowl from the yard sale

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ulilwitch, May 31, 2019.

1. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

Don't know anything about this one. It is so pretty. Don't recognize the signature on the bottom of this one. I had so much fun at this community yard sale. They are the only two I will put on here. They only cost me $1.00 each so even if they are nothing, they are pretty. The other items I bought I found online except a vase marked Mexico. Nothing extraordinary, just fun stuff to work with. bowl1.png bowl2.png bowl3.png

Marzena and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. ulilwitch

Woops, 3 1/4" high and 5 1/2" wide at the top.

3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It's spongeware. I don't recogise the mark and it looks relatively recent, so perhaps a hobby maker. Nicely done though.

Christmasjoy and ulilwitch like this.
  4. ulilwitch

Thank you.

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Not hobbyist. I've seen this line at retailers in the past - 1990-2010-ish?

Christmasjoy and ulilwitch like this.
  6. ulilwitch

Yay, figured that after my kitchen was cleaned up I would take another look for it. Found it. Yay!. It's Roseville Pottery. Now we know their mark.

7. Bakersgma

?? Where did you get that idea?

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  8. ulilwitch

There was one on etsy

i need help likes this.
  9. Bakersgma

Can you link the listing please? Because the seller is wrong if they said Roseville.

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  10. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

11. ulilwitch

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  12. ulilwitch

13. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Never be sorry. :)

ulilwitch and Christmasjoy like this.
  14. Bakersgma

Without seeing the actual mark - and knowing that Roseville Ohio (the city) has been the home of many pottery makers - it is possible that a recent one is using the name Alpine of Roseville. But that should never be confused with the actual Roseville Pottery whose wares are much sought after.

Unfortunately this bowl is not by the famous Roseville.

15. Ownedbybear

As an aside, Poole Pottery did recent similar stuff, as has Emma Bridgewater.

ulilwitch likes this.
  16. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

There are a number of Alpine of Roseville pieces for sale on Ebay and some sold listings. Years of production appear to be mid 1990's - early 2000's.
    Don

ulilwitch likes this.
  17. Bakersgma

I took a look at some of those, Don, and there 2 major differences between Alpine and the OP's bowl. Alpine's "spatter" is much bigger gauge than this bowl (the blotches of blue glaze applied by "the sponge" are much larger than what's here) and the marks on the bottom are all printed out in a circle - Alpine Pottery - as opposed to the handpainted (?) letters.

ulilwitch likes this.
  18. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Good points. Anything else I can supply is pure speculation but I suspect these pieces were hand decorated so differences in the decoration wouldn't worry me too much. The lack of an Alpine mark bothered me too, though. Probably safest to call ulilwitch's piece "in the style of". Also note the Alpine mark does not include "Made in USA". These pieces may have been produced in China and sold under any number of marks and/or stamps. Someone may have gotten the bright idea to piggyback on the Roseville name on their particular stamp. It never states the pieces were actually made in Roseville. It may have been produced in China and sold through some of the retail pottery outlets in the Roseville area. Us pottery folks can be tricky. Or I may be making a perfectly straightforward issue unnecessary complicated. Too much time on my hands I suppose. Alpine is not listed in Lehner's so no help there.
    Don

ulilwitch and Bakersgma like this.
  19. kaudet

kaudet Well-Known Member

Think this is a piece of Molly Dallas pottery. Love her work!

20. Ownedbybear

Oho. I think you're right.

ulilwitch and dgbjwc like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted