Featured Pretty lady in pretty clothes

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by J Dagger, May 14, 2024.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Wondering what this gals dress might tell us about her? I found it contrasted with the way most women are dressed in this periods (likely 1850s/1860s) photos. At least the ones I’ve seen. It looked unique to me and made me curious to know more. 0BF7CCAC-377C-4B8F-8D97-D7D1214C863E.jpeg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

unusual...... looking ethnic with the collar cuffs and armbands.. even a bit tribal !!!:happy:

3. J Dagger

Yes thats what I thought and why I asked. It was in an auction lot about to end. I was going to bid but forgot and someone else got it. Oh well. I’m still interested to know though.

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Pretty typical of the 1860s. The severe hairdo with middle part. The pagoda sleeve. The crossed-arm pose. The full skirt. The dress' ornamentation is certainly OTT though. Calico print with plaid trim which was very popular in the mid-Victorian period. She looks extremely proud of it -- must have been expensive -- despite the fact that it's too wide for the purpose it's been put to. (See how poorly it sits around the neck and sleeves.)

Debora

kyratango, Figtree3, komokwa and 7 others like this.
  5. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

kyratango, Figtree3, J Dagger and 5 others like this.
  6. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

How interesting, thanks for that, I'd not heard of it!

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

kyratango, Figtree3, J Dagger and 7 others like this.
  8. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

I can't say why-but I got kind of a Metis vibe off the photo.Poss bone structure-who knows.Very striking young lady though.

kyratango, komokwa and J Dagger like this.
  9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I was thinking something like that too. Fun to see "what people looked like" back when.

kyratango likes this.
  10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Interesting discussion about her clothing. Thanks for posting this, @J Dagger . Don't know how they referred to it in the auction, but it's probably an ambrotype, although possibly a tintype. The ones with a light background from that period seem to mostly be ambrotypes, though.

kyratango and J Dagger like this.
  11. J Dagger

The seller wasn’t quite sure what they were talking about. I too believe it’s ambrotype though. Glad I wasn’t the only one to benefit!

Figtree3 likes this.
  12. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

It's queer how little folks actually study their items.I can't imagine not spending 5 or 10 minutes checking values...'Ah,a set of vice grips for a fiver-beats the Home depot price !'
    New stuffs fun to get cheap too.My lass found a huge new serrated bread knife for $6-$200 online,leaves more purse for the oldies.

Draft saved Draft deleted