Featured Pretty little glass & brass bracelet

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by J Dagger, Feb 1, 2024.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Wondering where from on this one? Some comps look like maybe Czech 1930’s. Nothing exactly like this though. Interesting clasp. I have another bracelet from this estate with the same clasp. That one is thoroughly Chinese looking. Real jade (or similar stone) peaches, little real coral & turquoise bits, brass filigree. So initially I thought maybe this bracelet could be Chinese. This one however doesn’t have a Chinese look at all. So maybe the clasps were just common in that era? Maybe one or both have a replaced clasp. Anyways wanted to start with this one. Well made little piece. B4756984-2904-457F-9F11-908CA41CA320.jpeg E34FFC4C-A9A3-43CF-ADC3-8CA7CC051980.jpeg

2. Dessert58

Dessert58 Well-Known Member

Nice bracelet. I dont know where it was made. These parts might have come from different places from all over Europe and been assembled. I think its from the 20 s-30s. I might have a watch chain somewhere in the hoard with similar looking links.
    I do think there are some parts missing though. Doesn't look right to have the clasp attach to the glass link.

stracci, kyratango and J Dagger like this.
  3. J Dagger

They are neat links. It would make sense that at the very least a jump ring is missing. It’s pretty short at 7”.

stracci likes this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Between the wars, and Czech would be my thought. I think someone removed one panel to shorten it. Very pretty thing.

stracci and J Dagger like this.
  5. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Old sport ring clasp, nothing stamped on the clasp?

stracci, J Dagger and kyratango like this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I think it's missing a piece too. The sport ring is probably early 30s.

stracci, J Dagger and kyratango like this.
  7. J Dagger

Makes sense. Looks strange as is!

stracci likes this.
  8. J Dagger

Not that I noticed. Sports ring, wondered if it had a name. Low snag rate I suppose. Smaht.

stracci and komokwa like this.
  9. J Dagger

So here’s the other one from same estate with the same “sports clasp”. Is there a relation between these or did the owner just like this clasp style and replace a couple existing ones with these? I’d have assumed this one was Chinese based on design and materials. I know Czech makers (like neiger bros) made pieces similar to this, inspired by Chinese work but they used glass I think, not real stone and coral. 9605426F-4787-4431-BC2C-23101D2151B7.jpeg B548F075-9F98-4AAB-A4E4-AA31EB14060D.jpeg E461A596-4ECD-445A-B93E-F4BB2559C963.jpeg

stracci likes this.
  10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd think some manufacturer got hold of the pieces of carved stone and used them. Done the same thing myself.

J Dagger and stracci like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

And their Chinese inspired stuff was made in Bohemia. These stones are 100% Chinese.
    It is a lovely bracelet (the second one), probably 1920s.

stracci likes this.
  12. J Dagger

Thanks, I agree that it’s lovey. Couldn’t imagine the carved stones being from anywhere else.

So we have Chinese carved stone, a 1920’s era piece. Was the bracelet itself made in China? How do the same clasps end up on these two bracelets?

13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It was a very common clasp at the time.
    It is possible, although Chinese carved semi-precious stones were also exported.

14. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Could swear I replied. Yes, the stones got exported, just as things like morpho wing did.

Draft saved Draft deleted