Price Differences between Chemist Bottles

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Nathan Lindop, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Nathan Lindop

Nathan Lindop 1: “?” 2: “!”

Been wondering this for a while and it baffles me that this has come about and I cannot find any text or literature on the subject.

In examples such as the ones I will attach why do certain chemist bottles with there chemical contents labels on differentiate so much in price. I assume it’s becuase some are rarer than others, but how do I know which ones to look out for. The one that sold for £17 was the only one with a blemished label xD

Can anybody help me to find out how to learn about what chemist labels are rare on bottles? :pompous::bookworm:

B4FA0CD3-CF35-4773-94BC-D37AC7DCA373.jpeg 430E69ED-C8C8-42DA-BC90-00D3D1FE2986.jpeg 0F028F00-821A-45F5-83E4-51C72BF0A4F5.jpeg F691D390-88AA-4A3E-ADE1-6952B0F306F8.jpeg

2. Huntingtreasure

Huntingtreasure Well-Known Member

3. Nathan Lindop

Haha! Thanks, I love my bottles for sure. Sorry I didn’t reply @Huntingtreasure i never saw the response. There’s are a lot of books on bottles, I actually don’t own any but as far as I’m aware I don’t know of anybody who has talked about the labels on identical bottles differentiating price.

I have a French chemist bottle for poudre de Colombo and I don’t know whether I should ask for more or not because of that xD xD

Huntingtreasure likes this.
  4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Who knows why people spend more for nearly identical items. Sometimes it is just the luck of the draw and who is seeing it at a given time. I am sure some are worth more due to rarity but know of no literature about this subject. Personally, I would not have let a couple of those go for opening bid. I would start them higher based on an average and wait for the right buyers to come along. If they get bid up in the process, all the better.

I would. Seems like the kind of thing that might get more attention if it means what I think it means. Have you found any others?

5. Huntingtreasure

Huntingtreasure Well-Known Member

Sorry I didn’t reply @Huntingtreasure i neversaw the response.
    That’s OK, I don’t remember writing it! :hilarious:

6. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

I don't think there is a lot of readily available out there about these. I've been trying to learn more about pharmaceutical antiques too but haven't found much info out there.

7. Nathan Lindop

Maybe a long term goal. Write a book on pharmaceutical antiques keep an eye out for it WHSmith in 2050

8. 808 raver

808 raver Well-Known Member

Chemist bottles go on age, color, and if the label is under glass, age being the most important. I suspect the above aren't very old if old at all. Early ones don't have a mould line at all, later ones have a mould line that finishes on the neck and the lip is hand made, after about 1910-20 the whole bottle will have a mould line including the lip. I have 2 apothecary cabinets both dating from 1800-1820's not that these are "Chemist" bottles but they would have been made in the same way.

Draft saved Draft deleted