Featured Primitive carved turquoise ram/buffalo fetish or effigy?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by jakes vintage, Sep 8, 2018.

1. jakes vintage

jakes vintage Well-Known Member

Hey guys,
    I've had this thing for years, prob 20yrs to be exact and I found it again the other day seeing it again got me curious if this was worth holding onto or jyst putting it up for the turquoise content (not the best but I'm sure it'll sell) any way I value everyone's opinions on here and look forward to hearing what everyone thinks even if it's horrible news, at least I know now. If it helps I acquired it at a little home town thrift store on the outskirts of Alberqurqe NM. It's 3 inches long x 1 inch wide x 2 inches tall and weighs 144.1 grams. Any info you guys care to share would be wonderful and I thank you in advance for taking the time to come in here to check it out!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

No, no, no. Don't just sell it off as a hunk of turquoise matrix. I know only a little about Zuni fetishes, although I own a collection's worth of them. Think this is what is considered 'old style', where minimal change is made to the natural shape of the rock to bring out the suggestion of an animal. I don't follow that market anymore, but when I was last actively buying, only some elders were working in this style. It is worth knowing more about.

3. jakes vintage

I went and looked up the old style fetishes and with in a few pictures on Google images found a similar looking Ram though not in turquoise the head shape was very similar. I wonder what kind of turquoise this is? I looked that up too and cane across Candelaria Turquoise, but I'm not 100% sure in that hopefully someone will come along and confirm the two..thanks for the advice!!

4. Bronwen

Just to alert you, nothing that comes up in an eBay search for 'Zuni old style' is actually old style, so don't take any cues from there.

5. Bronwen

6. Bronwen

judy, Any Jewelry, sabre123 and 2 others like this.
  7. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I hope @Mark Bahti sees this. He has written a book on Zuni fetishes, he will know.

9. Diggummup

Diggummup Well-Known Member

Nice old piece. Here's my (newer made) bear...

IMG_4703 (1280x941).jpg
    IMG_4706 (1280x1019).jpg
    IMG_4697 (1097x1280).jpg IMG_4693 (1280x762).jpg

10. Bronwen

judy, Christmasjoy, Diggummup and 4 others like this.
  11. jakes vintage

does @Taupou or @Mark Bahti come here often? I'm curious of their input on it

12. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

I've bought and sold Zuni fetishes frequently over the years, but I've pretty much kept to ones I purchase directly from the artists, or from a reliable source at Zuni. I'm able to recognize the work of several contemporary carvers, although most sign or initial their work today. And there is currently a big problem with Chinese imports (fake Zuni fetishes) being sold on the secondary market.

This, however, does look like the real thing. It is certainly "old style" in its simplicity. I don't feel competent enough to attempt an attribution as who may have made it, or the authenticity of the the stone.

Keep in mind, unless you witnessed turquoise being dug out of a specific mine, or have unquestionable provenance, it's just about impossible to "identify" a piece of turquoise, despite the number of claims to the contrary.

reader, Lucille.b, 2manybooks and 4 others like this.
  13. Bronwen

I have a couple of perfectly lovely lizard-on-a-rock pieces signed A LAMY/ZUNI. The signature is genuine, the work is Chinese. Lamy would peddle them around Zuni, but couldn't keep quiet about their origin, so word got out.

14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's just about impossible to "identify" a piece of turquoise,

Hey Taupou...could u expand on this..?
    upload_2018-9-20_2-23-55.jpeg

I thought I could tell the difference between Sleeping beauty and Royston...or Kingman stones.....are you saying that the mines differences can't be proved...?..or similar stones came from different mines..
    Or that the same matrix can be found in many other places..?

Bronwen, Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  15. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

16. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Well...that's an eye opener !!!

so, I guess I can recognize nice turquoise , but not always where it came from...:)

2manybooks, Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  17. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I, too, will always be of the school that unless you were standing there when it was mined it’s only a guess at best. I live in the SW and collect NA jewelry. As stated, mines can have multiple veins and some non US turquoise can look very similar to ours.

I think it’s a very slippery slope to try and identify turquoise.

All that aside,IMO the fetish is old and Zuni and very nice!

18. jakes vintage

How would one put an age to this, since it is a old style fetish, could it be recent in that style or older? Obviously it's over 20yrs old but could it be 100yo, older?

Bronwen likes this.
  19. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

One obvious way would be to check for evidence that modern tools were used in shaping it. The two long lines on the bottom, for example, do look a little suspect. As already mentioned, there are carvers today making "old style" fetishes.

Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  20. jakes vintage

Thanks @Taupou I really appreciate all the advice, and everyone else thank you all!!

Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted