Pump organ converted to a desk?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Figtree3, May 25, 2014.

1. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

At the garage/estate sale yesterday one of the most interesting things I saw was a small old organ that had been converted to a desk.

It was the same idea as the ones on this Pinterest page, but not quite as nicely done as some of these. For example, the keyboard was no longer there.

http://www.pinterest.com/jlvance6/antique-pump-organ-writing-desks/

I thought about buying it, but they wanted $200. I'm sure they would have come down on the price, but I also have no good place to put it.

I wish I would have taken a photo! :oops:

2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I see these from time to time. More popular and sell easier than an old organ. I have seen some of these old organs go at auction for $1.00.

3. Figtree3

Thanks -- I have an antique upright piano in my basement that was there when I bought the house. The poor thing should not be down there, but it's way too heavy to move and nobody wants an old piano, I've learned.

4. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

About a decade ago when I sold my (beautiful and functional) antique pump organ, I sold it to a pump organ collector who drove to pick it up from another state. I learned there is a pump organ "society" and that each is well-documented for historical purposes when purchased by a collector member.

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

What a great idea! I've all those pictures on the pintrest page, Fig.

My current desk was a originally a work table at the Watertown (MA) Arsenal that was brought home by SO's brother who worked there during the renovations (late 90's?) and was told to take whatever he wanted because otherwise it was all going to the dump. :arghh:

Golden oak veneer, mission style, and frankly wayyyyy too big for my current home. But it does hold a lot and is a good height. If it were just a bit narrower, both with and depth, I might actually find space for a comfy chair. :D

6. Figtree3

By the way, my sister asked me about the piano in my basement today. She found a photo of one online and was wondering whether it was the same as mine. It wasn't, but I took a photo of it to send her.... this is it. Unfortunately there is lots of dust on the poor thing. Also, my basement had a few inches of water in it a couple of times. I don't think it damaged the piano much, except I'm sure the moisture was not good for it.

001 (800x781).jpg

Pat P and komokwa like this.
  7. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I know it's hard to sell them, but I HATE what they've done with those poor organs.

8. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Better a dignified death, say I, than life as a dancing monkey!

9. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Agreed Book. I was so grateful that a collector actually wanted to pay a little bit for mine even though I lost money on the deal. He was thrilled that it hadn't had much restoration. I was thrilled for it to have a new home!

I guess the "re-purposing" of antiques just isn't my cup of tea.

10. pentiques

pentiques New Member

I have mixed feelings about converting them into something useful. At least parts are saved and some of the carving, mirrors, etc. are lovely. Right now most people have no room for a pump organ. So I guess rather than burn them I would vote to convert.

11. Figtree3

Pentiques, I also feel that some things will probably be lost forever if not converted from their original form. (Not everything, but certain things.) It seems that antique pianos that are not spectacular or valuable are not really wanted. I think the one I have is very attractive, but it's not doing well where it is, and it would have to be refurbished in order to play very well.

12. SKCCOAST

SKCCOAST Active Member

When I had a resale shop long ago was so happy to have a group of women come in, (mother and daughter sets) and they went crazy over an old dresser that was in great condition. As I finished the sale, they told me they were cutting a hole in the top for a sink. I almost cried. This was before they had the cool sinks that sit on top and you can retain the piece intact.

13. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Much as I love being able to find a new use for things that are no longer considered viable for the original purpose -- having the keys upside down on a desk-that-was-a-pump-organ would drive me round the bend! Rather like seeing Grandpa's teeth in a jar!

14. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

I agree. Those keys look....odd.

Better a dignified death, say I, than life as a dancing monkey!

:D
    indeed.

15. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

When I lived in Denver,my room mate and I rolled an upright piano about 5 blocks from a church that was being sold.It had gorgeous tiger striped oak,and brass fixtures like candle holders etc. It was ruined as far as the sound board was cracked,but a friend of mine came and picked it up and built a bookcase out of it,wich he sold for several 100 dollars and gave me half ! Not bad for a freebie,though I did hate that it couldn't stay a piano.

16. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    At a yard sale I was having a lady came and started looking at a 120 yr old doll crib I had 75 dollars on it hoping it would not sell. The woman whipped out her wallet and I said it was a wonderful antique since most of them did not last long. She then told me she was giving it to her 2 yr old niece to play with. I almost had a stroke. I told (really yelled) her it was not for sale and quickly took it into the house. A few months later I sold it to a a nice couple who appreciated the crib. Unfortunately the next year the couple had a house fire and the crib was lost anyway. It helped me realize that if somebody buys something it is theirs to do with what they want. I would not do such things like
    the piano into a desk but I can not save everything in the world.:(
    greg

komokwa likes this.
  17. SilverSurfer

SilverSurfer New Member

I realise this is quite an old post but I've only just found it.
    I have a 150 year old pump organ that was left to my grandfather by his aunt, may even have been his great aunt. He was the only one in our family who could play it and I fondly remember him playing hymns every Sunday after tea. Eventually it came down the family to me. It has moved house with us several time over the last 40 years each time moving into another garage or shed. The bellows has rotted and some of the joints are loose, and sadly the high cost of restoration far exceeds its value. Nobody in the UK wants these instruments, restored or otherwise. They take up too much room in small homes and I know our kids would just scrap it when we're gone it has no sentimental value for them. So I've decided if it's to stay in our house it must earn its place - by being converted into a desk. I hope to keep as much of the original appearance as possible, just add a desktop, maybe a few drawers etc. It will take me a while (I'm not a cabinet maker) but I will try very hard to do justice to a much loved family heirloom and have a useful item of furniture at the end of it. I don't think granddad would have minded!

Figtree3, Pat P and komokwa like this.
  18. silverthwait

Your grandfather would be very pleased with your plans.

19. silverthwait

LOL! As you said, this is an old post. I was suddenly struck with an awful thought!

Please see my earlier post about teeth!!!

20. Figtree3

Wow -- I started this thread in the early days of the revival of this site!

The piano is still in my basement, and my sister still says she wants it. But she lives about 4-5 hours drive away and is not sure how to get it to her house. So, it still languishes there.

Draft saved Draft deleted