Featured Purchased as Bakelite but I suspect amber Help, please

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by gauntlettgems, Jun 13, 2022.

1. gauntlettgems

gauntlettgems Well-Known Member

6F1E9AF9-CBF9-4732-A784-8B64369D109D.jpeg 5E2A53AF-B450-4AB4-A798-6021A8160AB6.jpeg AE0EA679-65B9-450A-8A6B-849A5C502AC7.jpeg 510E5A36-5A30-4FAC-9DA2-3911740A85F7.jpeg 78AF386D-C988-4088-B6E4-BEFD6C5A3D2E.jpeg 4AA5BDAD-72E5-455C-ACD9-43A3CB099906.jpeg E11AC5C6-96EB-4BBD-BF5B-ED74A2C83432.jpeg
    Hi,
    Purchased as Bakelite but it doesn’t test as such. The green glow under the UV makes me think it might be some type of amber

Just looking for opinions and any thoughts you might have on what I have

I tried rubbing it but my smelled is no good. I can never smell Bakelite either. I don’t really wanna hot pink pine it.

Thank you for any help you can provide

2. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

Definitely not Amber

But it's a beauty !!

3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It's not right for amber. I'd think sixties swirled plastic.

4. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Ditto!

Figtree3 likes this.
  5. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

When you said it didn't test as Bakelite, which test did you use?

Also, no no no to any hot pin test. (Wasn't sure that's what you were suggesting, I think there is a typo.) :)

6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Pretty! No matter what it is.

charlie cheswick likes this.
  7. JunkshopJim

JunkshopJim Active Member

If you rub your thumb on it for a while or heat it a little you should get a pine smell if it is amber. There is also some kind of test you can do in water where you dissolve a certain amount of sugar or salt maybe in it. The floating or sinking of it should determine whether or not it is amber. Sorry it's a bit vague but I recently googled this myself.

8. JunkshopJim

JunkshopJim Active Member

gauntlettgems and komokwa like this.
  9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Not amber. I can see that from here. I'd take a damp q-tip, dunk it in baking soda, and rub on the inside of the bracelet. Hard. Hold next to your nose while you're doing it. If the q-tip turns yellow or brown and you smell formaldehyde, it's bakelite. Rotten milk is galaith. If you smell something plastic-y or nothing at all, it's some sort of acrylic.

10. gauntlettgems

gauntlettgems Well-Known Member

Hey,

my smeller is no good. I never smell Bakelite or anything else unless it’s really strong. I used simichrome for the bake test I wonder what other item would turn the weird color under the UV light. I don’t think I’ve ever had any galaith before.
    I’ll try the baking soda next

11. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

Hold it under some hot water and if its bakelite it can't help but smell.

Draft saved Draft deleted