Featured Purchasing Amber online - need help

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Roshan Ko, Oct 11, 2022.

1. Roshan Ko

Roshan Ko Well-Known Member

Dear All,
    I was considering purchasing amber beads/necklaces online (on fleabaY) there seem to be some decent offers.
    But I was wondering how would I be sure atleast to try and rule out that it is not bakelite or faux amber.
    Many listings show the weight alongwith the other photos of eggyolk amber. There are many which require restringing, which is a good thing because it could be old and which is why the string is broken etc. and people are chucking it instead of restringing it.
    But the online listing is impossible to ascertain what would the weight be of the stones.
    I assume they are showing the weight to show that it is light and not heavy like bakelite.

The next question would be how would I know that it is not reconstituted amber? Are there any sites where i can do some more reading.

Salt water test/ UV test would all be once I got it and then it comes in to the territory of returning the item 'not as decscribed", I do not wish to fall into that space or want to avoid it completely (by which I mean I will bill the bad purchase to education).

Many thanks in advance.

Born2it, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

It's 2022, and unless u have it in your hand and know what it is..... we live & die by pictures.
    Study photo's of real amber....from as many sources as you can find....that u trust !
    Baltic amber is a good start because there seems to be a wealth of the real item out there.
    Once you think you have a good sense of what to look for....then try a few inexpensive purchases...to hone your skills.
    If there's a good book or catalog featuring high grade amber....buy it too.

& good luck on your quest !

Born2it, judy, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  3. Roshan Ko

thanks @komokwa

Baltic amber seems to be a challenge because most sellers seem to be from non US/UK and international shipping + customs etc. is involved

on US/UK fleabay - eggyolk amber seems to be the popular one being sold.

judy, Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I honestly would not buy it online unless it's very cheap.

Figtree3, bercrystal and johnnycb09 like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I meant , to study the look of baltic amber......not just to go and buy it !:sorry::sorry::sorry:

Many sellers on line just use keywords to sell amber bakelite and plastic when they don't really know what they have.....
    You need to know...what you're looking at ....and trust yourself !:happy::happy:

Roshan Ko and judy like this.
  6. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I purchased a lovely Cherry Amber Pendant from a direct seller in the Baltic area. I asked one of the members to review the purchase before I committed. It was not cheap, but I was highly satisfied. The site had excellent reviews. I tested the piece immediately because the seller agreed to refund my money if I was unsatisfied. It proved to be amber and exactly as represented. I also purchased some Vintage Amber beads in the form of stretch bracelets from another direct seller. I paid an acceptable price for me. If you are looking for cheap, I have bought several pieces of amber from a direct seller at a flea market. I took my chances with these because the price was low.

thumbnail_IMG_6686.jpg

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Hello Roshan. I usually buy antique Baltic amber either cheaply from Dutch sellers (I am in the Netherlands). It is a risk, but I haven't been disappointed yet.
    And I buy vintage or new amber from sellers in the EU Baltic area. In my experience they are very reliable, both in the authenticity of amber and in their customer service. Of course I don't have to deal with customs, we are all EU.
    Always look for untreated amber. If it has been treated, buy only pressed. Many amber beads are pressed into a bead shape.

Figtree3, Roshan Ko, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Since you are looking for bead necklaces, you can always ask if they can show a photo of the float test.
    Quite a few Baltic region sellers post a photo of the test in their listing anyway.

Roshan Ko, komokwa and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  9. Ownedbybear

aj, could you pretty please go look at my brooch?

bercrystal and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  10. Roshan Ko

KikoBlueEyes and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Of course my darling.:kiss: I just checked your posts and will look.

Please re-alert me any time if I haven't replied to tags. The tired brain has ordered low activity, so I miss a lot.;)

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  12. Ownedbybear

I'll message you next time. xxxx

KikoBlueEyes and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Good idea.:)

KikoBlueEyes and Ownedbybear like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted