PV Pottery question

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Karen Nowell, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Karen Nowell

Karen Nowell New Member

IMG_2832.jpg IMG_2829.jpg IMG_2830.jpg IMG_2830.jpg We are going through my Grandmother's belongings and part of my family is tossing willy nilly and I want to make sure we are not throwing away valuable pieces. Thank you for inviting me to join!!

I just inherited a 22 place setting set of PV dinnerware pottery. It looks just like the Deruta Rooster pattern, but with musical notes coming out of the rooster's mouth. Any thoughts on who actually created this pattern for Strauss' PV line? And when? It is signed (not stamped) P.V. ITALY 07208. Thank you!!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    scoutshouse and Houseful like this.
  2. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Let's see if this link to 'sold' on eBay works.

edit - link removed it didn't work.

Christmasjoy and scoutshouse like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I want to make sure we are not throwing away valuable pieces

then hit us with clear photo's asap.......

& welcome..

4. wiscbirddog

Ok, so this is how I typed in the search on eBay. Then scrolled down a bit & clicked on 'sold' on the left. . .

(pv,p v) rooster

Christmasjoy, scoutshouse and komokwa like this.
  5. wiscbirddog

6. Karen Nowell

Karen Nowell New Member

I posted 3 photos and had to shrink them to attach them. They come up very clear on my computer and I am definitely keeping the majority. I will try and take some pics of some of the other pieces. Stay tuned....

7. Karen Nowell

Karen Nowell New Member

IMG_2856.jpg IMG_2857.jpg IMG_2859.jpg IMG_2858.jpg IMG_2860.jpg Here are examples of the tea and coffee cups.

8. komokwa

upload_2019-7-29_17-18-19.jpeg

they come up clear here too...if you click FULL IMAGE just before posting them....

9. komokwa

u can go back and edit your last post.....clicking full image and save changes...

help us...to help you...!! :):):)

10. Karen Nowell

Karen Nowell New Member

IMG_2855.jpg IMG_2853.jpg actually there were these bowls with a little lip that are signed deruta and they were with the set....

11. komokwa

u can go back and edit your last post.....clicking full image and save changes...

help us...to help you...!! :):):)

folks who use phones can't see postage stamps...

12. Karen Nowell

Karen Nowell New Member

13. Karen Nowell

Karen Nowell New Member

Thank you. I obviously do not know much about that kind of thing!!

Christmasjoy, scoutshouse and komokwa like this.
  14. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The actual mark on the platter above only says PV Italy, no Deruta on it. The seller's description isn't necessarily "proof."

15. komokwa

you do now.........we're here to help !! in all ways !:):):)

16. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Karen, it looks as if you already asked "the expert" (Walter Del Pellegrino) elsewhere (https://community.ebay.com/t5/Pottery-Glass-Porcelain/P-V-Italy-Pottery/td-p/26710821) but actually, his earlier answer to another poster answered your question, as well:

This mark has had me stumped for a number of years.
    There are two types of PV marks-one written, as in your example and another either impressed into the clay or printed with PV in a circle. I am now of the opinion that either mark refers to 'Peasant Village'. This was a line created for, and imported by, Mittledorfer Strauss of New York. Peasant Village pieces were made in several countries, including France, Italy, and even the U.S.

Mittledofer used the PV logo beginning in 1928 and I believe they continued to use it through the 1960's. The parent company, Mittledorfer Strauss, remained active into the 1970's.

There is no way to tell which specific factory made these pieces as the customer, (the importer in this case) refused to allow any company names or logos to be used except their own.

It sounds to me as if the pieces marked PV were Deruta-made for import by Mittledorfer but did not carry the word DERUTA, even tho they were made at the same place as the ones that are marked DERUTA and not imported by PV.

17. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Really charming!

Christmasjoy and Karen Nowell like this.
  18. Karen Nowell

Karen Nowell New Member

Thank you all so much for all the info!! I have really enjoyed getting to know the history of my new/ old dinnerware. I have another question.... The small deruta bowls that came with the set have a lid hole on the side. The bowl itself has a lip around the top inside and at first I thought maybe they wee for french onion soup, but the lid with hole has stumped me. It looks aaaaa.jpg IMG_2861.jpg IMG_2863.jpg to be a spot for a spoon, but I wouldn't think you would serve it that way... Any thoughts?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  19. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I think the lidded bowls are meant for holding/serving something other than french onion soup. What are the dimensions?

20. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

May be there to release some of the steam buildup .. just a guess, Joy. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted