Featured Qianlong Cloisonné Set

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Desertau, May 21, 2024.

1. Desertau

Desertau Well-Known Member

Some time back my wife collected this jewelry set belonging to one of the emperors wives from a friend in China, bracelet, ring and matching earrings, the earrings match the ring with a large central piece of Lapis Lazuli.
    IMG_2024-05-21-074032.jpeg IMG_2024-05-21-074359.jpeg IMG_2024-05-21-074251.jpeg IMG_2024-05-21-074505.jpeg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is a lovely set, but not Qianlong period. It is 20th century, and too recent to have belonged to an empress imo.
    Imperial and other expensive Chinese jewellery was often adorned with gemstones, pearls, and precious kingfisher feathers instead of cloisonné. They also preferred gold or gilded jewellery.

Last edited: May 21, 2024
  3. Any Jewelry

An example of Qing dynasty kingfisher feather jewellery:

qing-dynasty-sm2.jpg

4. Desertau

I certainly don’t personally have the background to argue distinctive characteristics of ancient Chinese jewelry you could be correct.

This has some provenance in the collection or collector it came from my wife’s father was Chief of Police for Shanghai China for a long time and she has an extensive network and connections including many friends with some impressive collections.

But, even experts are fooled so I wouldn’t stake a paycheck on my information and appreciate all opinions. Thank you,

5. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Are there any markings on the bracelet - eg. CHINA, or S925 ?

DragonflyWink and kyratango like this.
  6. Desertau

No, it is unmarked.

2manybooks likes this.
  7. gckimm

gckimm Active Member

The last Chinese dynasty, the Qing, ended in 1912. All of the emperors had numerous concubines, as well as official "wives," so it is possible that this piece could have been owned by one of these ladies. It is also possible that there was a little exaggeration and the piece was owned by another lady of the imperial court or an official's wife.

8. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

nice, but agree, looks like 1930s export

that kingfisher piece though (chef's kiss)

Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  9. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Agree with 20th Century on this. Could you show the earrings out of the bag so we can see the backs?

If the box is original to the set it's even newer than has been suggested.

I did find this auction, but disclaimer, I know nothing about the seller and keep in mind that the asking price (since item is unsold) might be optimistic.

https://jewelry.silverqueen.com/rar...ligree-cloisonné-enamel-dragon-motif-bracelet

10. Any Jewelry

I think it is optimistic. And it is silver gilt, rather than silver.
    But it does mean that there are more out there, so not a one off. Which I wouldn't expect anyway, with this type of work.

11. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Sometimes, the supposed histories of items are just not right, and though attractive, seems extremely unlikely these pieces are of the origin or dating suggested...

Here is yet another bracelet, in another colorway, of the same construction and motifs (the mesh background appears machine made, common on 20th century pieces), it's marked with the 'S925' stamp already mentioned - I purchased a couple of brand new Chinese enamel dragonfly brooches with the same mark around 25 years ago.

https://ctbids.com/estate-sale/27132/item/2962397/Gilt-Mesh-Cloisonn-Chinese-Dragon-Bracelet-S925
    chinese-enamel-bracelet-mkd-S925.jpg

Heh, I do know the seller and their prices are often 'optimistic'...

~Cheryl

12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Draft saved Draft deleted