Featured Qianlong or kangxi bowl

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by charlie cheswick, Jan 25, 2024.

1. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

something i found a while ago that i bought with a few other chinese pieces.
    gonna list it but unsure of correct period
    nice condition apart from a few little fleabites
    im guessing its gotta be pre 19th,

any help appreciated

kang2.jpg kang1.jpg kang4.jpg kang5.jpg kang17.jpg kang14.jpg kang13.jpg kang15.jpg

2. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

There's a FB group, China Trade Porcelain of the 18th c. If you're on FB, you could query them, but it's a group I joined, so if you want me to snag the photos, I could post for you.

3. kentworld

4. charlie cheswick

thanks Kworld, yeah that would be great ! :happy:

Chinoiserie and kentworld like this.
  5. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

There's a lot of iron in that clay, so it's going to be early 19th. There's an outside chance it's the very end of the 18th, but these are usually considered early 19th and people who buy them aren't going to be swayed by trying to predate it.

6. charlie cheswick

ah interesting, thanks for the info

Chinoiserie likes this.
  7. kentworld

I'll give it a go with the FB group and see what they say although I reckon Ce BCA has it right.

8. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

Did you deduce that from the colour of the foot rim?

charlie cheswick likes this.
  9. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Yes, although that can be faked for repros, but you can see it in the glaze pops as well, so it's generally indicative. The clay is usually washed far better in earlier pieces. There are other indicators as well such as the draughting and the blue circles, they look wrong for 18th century or earlier.

10. Chinoiserie

Thanks. I guess you can only get proficient in identifying pieces by handling lots of them.

kyratango and charlie cheswick like this.
  11. kentworld

No joy. A few likes, but no responses. :( But Ce BCA is very knowledgeable, so I'd go with his/her explanation.

kyratango and charlie cheswick like this.
  12. kentworld

Well, one reply to my FB post popped up today: "All indicators point to Kangxi circa1700-1720." I don't know if this is correct or not, but some more research/investigation might be an idea.

13. charlie cheswick

thanks for your help kworld, i appreciate it. i can see why somebody would suggest that

but i do think ce bs point about the base seems to ring true, it (the base) does seem to look closer to nineteenth century pieces ive had than earlier ones

ill hold off on trying to sell it untill im 100% though ;)

14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

since when do we take a Facebook ID over one from our own members ?

:happy:..:playful::playful::playful::playful:.....:jawdrop:

15. Chinoiserie

Facebook knows everything.

16. kentworld

There was another comment this morning that identified it as Kangxi.

Any Jewelry and charlie cheswick like this.
  17. kentworld

Well, there are some extremely knowledgeable (dare I say experts) on some of the FB groups and the one to which I posted OPs plate has dedicated collectors of this porcelain. If anyone is interested and is on FB, the group is called China Trade Porcelain of the 18th Century. Our own member, Ce BCA, has said that it is not easy to be certain about some things without seeing the item in the flesh. Photos are good, but not everything. :)

Any Jewelry and charlie cheswick like this.
  18. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

maybe........but we are Legend !;)

charlie cheswick and kentworld like this.
  19. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

That's right - often when looking at auction catalogues you can suspect one period, then see them in the flesh and it's obviously something else.

One thing that is important though is the why - if someone in the group says 'Kangxi' you need to know why they think so - what characteristics made them come to that conclusion. Just stating Kangxi, late Qing, repro etc isn't helpful at all.

Any Jewelry, Bakersgma and kentworld like this.
  20. kentworld

I did ask for specific clues, but neither poster elaborated.:(

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted