Qianlong vases with red stamp - happy for info

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Marran, Apr 20, 2024.

1. Marran

Marran New Member

I found a pair of chinese Qianlong (seemingly) vases. The condition is good, maybe too good to be old. Still interested in learning more about this kind of porcelain.

Red stamp under, from researching it should be Qianlong, but is it "new" or older?

Happy for any information. Age, approx value, very common or a little bit on the rare side? Sharing some photos

Thanks!

22.jpg 11.jpg 44.jpg

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

3. Marran

Marran New Member

Correct, a bit north of Göteborg. I found a very similar stamp on a Bukowskis auction.. Checking Gotheborg.com - theres some very similar ones. Not being an expert it's hard to know for sure what is what. "Qianlong Nian Zhi" looks like mine both in style and stamp, but the value varies. Some are $650 and up, but this is a pair..

This stamp looks close: https://www.bukowskis.com/sv/lots/4...-1900-tal-med-qianlong-fyra-karaktarers-marke

On Goteborg.com #414 looks close, but I'm not sure what to look for when they get too similar. This one is close: 414_fullsize.jpg (400×840) (gotheborg.com) Perhaps I am lucky and get some expert advice

Last edited: Apr 20, 2024
  4. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Considering that some of the decoration looks like a transfer or stamp (some of the black lines) I would think latter half of the 20th c. Most marks that we see on Chinese vases are"honorific," meaning that they pay homage to past dynasties. If genuinely old, then one says "mark and period" meaning that the mark is actually from that dynasty or period.

Bakersgma and komokwa like this.
  5. Marran

Marran New Member

Thanks for your reply kentworld. Do you know any way to find something similar to be able to estimate or 'guesstimate' some kind of value? This is a pair, both look the same.

Value is interesting, not only for the money itself - it's kind of a language giving info about how common or collectible it is. Trying to learn some more about chinese porcelain (and stamps/marks). It's a huge jungle in the beginning.

I was a little bit confused by the stamp/mark not being centered. If I had to guess, both collectibles and "fakes" would at least have this centered? Just something that crossed my mind

kentworld likes this.
  6. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

"It's a huge jungle in the beginning." For me, it's always a huge jungle. LOL. I haven't bought or sold for a number of years, so I don't have a clue about value. Only that a pair -- in good condition -- are generally worth more than a single. The point to consider in valuation here is whether it's decorative value, or collectible value.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted