Question about artists painting multiple copies of same image/scene or forgeries/tributes...

Discussion in 'Art' started by J Dagger, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

kyratango, J Dagger and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Look, it's a fun game if you can afford it. And you'll only get better and better at it so why not?

Debora

kyratango and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

How cool! Thanks for digging! I somehow missed your post originally. I guess they are attractive and pretty well done paintings and old enough to garner interest? I don’t know, the elder V. Bianchinis stuff seems to sell very well at very high prices.

4. J Dagger

I finally did pretty good yesterday art wise. $6 spent on a vintage framed, S/N Ben Shahn print of Fredrick Douglas. Here: https://www.davidsongalleries.com/artists/modern/ben-shahn/frederick-douglass-ii/ it’s being sold for $550. Another of his F.D. prints is listed on eBay for $1k or so. I really like the print so I’ll probably keep it. I also bought a very interesting litho the other day which is worth some nice change. Actually I just remembered a good old etching I bought at a thrift store in the Midwest I need to post here. Library of Congress has one of the artists etchings but I couldn’t find any info about possible value at the time. I’m sure someone here will be able to offer some advice. Thanks again for finding that work of his fathers!

5. J Dagger

Thought I would update you. After a month or so of having the painting listed I ended up clearing a $75 profit on it to a happy buyer. All is well that ends well. Not a killing but I didn’t lose anything on it and got to enjoy looking at it for a while. :)

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Well, done! You're now officially an art dealer.

Debora

7. Please note how wide the wood grain is on the stretcher, this is new growth (pine?) wood. Also the fasteners can be telling along with the patina of the canvas as shown on the back. Hopefully you can do a direct compare and contrast with your paintings backer construction as compared to an original. Also consider the paintings size with a confirmed original. Best to you.

8. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Welcome, PSofOS. We get lots of painting questions, so hope we'll be hearing more from you now & then. :)

kyratango and i need help like this.
  9. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

When I went to their showroom to see these engraved gems in person

https://www.christies.com/masterpieces-in-miniature-ancient-28329.aspx?saletitle=

I was told there were more cameos in another gallery there. When I finally found them, they were a jumble of a couple hundred cameos & intaglios in a glass case, a few separated out on little stands as being possible antiquities, most of the rest things you see all the time on eBay. All collection of one person, whom I can only imagine was, or had cultivated a relationship with, someone in the business of scrapping precious metals. Preponderance were ring stone size. I was equally surprised they would handle such a stuff.

kyratango and i need help like this.
  10. My Dixie wrecked

My Dixie wrecked New Member

I recently found the same thing on back of painting. Paese oli Salvador Rosa
    Copio v. Buchanini and after having it appraised found that the stamp on right side is from pitti palace Florence and told me to insure it for 1200.00 dollars

11. J Dagger

Hey Dixie,

Sounds like you found a good one. Is the artists name on yours Bianchini or Buchanini? The name you mentioned is different than the artist who painted mine.

12. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I don't know about this artist or this painter, but I have a story for you.

My husband paints, he sells at outdoor shows during tourist season here. A few years ago someone bought one of his paintings and hung it in their seasonal house. It was about 17" x 11".

Last year, off season, he got a call from the buyer. She had just bought a new house and wanted to commission a larger version of the exact same scene.

Yes artists do paint multiple copies of the same scene :)

J Dagger likes this.
  13. Every once in awhile some artist will paint multiples of the same subject in the same time frame. A great example is luminist artist K. Sato. There several versions of his Road To Hope. I believe they are all dated 1953.

J Dagger likes this.
  14. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

And Duchamp's "Nude Descending a Staircase" :)

Draft saved Draft deleted