Question about Stiffel lamps I found at a garage sale

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by kramer, Jul 16, 2016.

1. kramer

kramer New Member

My wife and I were at a garage sale today and found some Stiffel lamps.

We paid $12 apiece. The old couple said they wanted them gone because they were tired of looking at them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

KingofThings likes this.
  2. kramer

kramer New Member

I know that the pic of the 2nd and 3rd are Ostritch from 1950, and I've seen them FOR A PAIR online for $2700.

Does it have to be in a PAIR for them to be worth a lot of money?

I KNOW NOTHING about antiques...

KingofThings likes this.
  3. kramer

kramer New Member

4. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

The highest pair of that type on ebay sold for $300.

$50 to $100 for singles is more likely.

Pairs are usually worth more than double of two singles.

KingofThings likes this.
  5. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Welcome!
    And very nice items and nice large photos too! :)

6. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Just remember "asking" and actually "selling" is usually quite different. Especially if you look things up on these auction based internet selling pages. Ebay will give you a better idea of what items are selling for.

KingofThings likes this.
  7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Quite a haul! I think pairs usually do better than singles for that type of lamp, but maybe that's just a personal preference.

Selling them through your B&M (if you have one), Craigslist or local consignment might be easiest and offer the best return. Packing lamps is a pain and postage sucks away a lot of profit. Offering them with shades makes a difference as well. Frequently good shades are more difficult to find than lamps (or so it seems to me).

I really like that ostrich pattern.

Figtree3 and KingofThings like this.
  8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Stiffel lamps are generally good quality and have a following. It is somewhat selective. I have never had any luck with them in my market but, obviously, others do. There is no way I could sell those ostrich egg lamps for $300.00, much less $2700.00.

KingofThings likes this.
  9. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

The old couple said they wanted them gone because they were tired of looking at them.

Kramer, I have four Stiffel lamps in my attic right now for that very same reason - I got sick of looking at them!

As Brad has said, Stiffel lamps are generally nicely made, and I'm not yet ready to get rid of mine, but I AM tired of them! (I have two from the 1970's and two from the 1980's.)

-C-

KingofThings and komokwa like this.
  10. kramer

kramer New Member

Thanks guys.

Even if we make a few hundred dollars, it's neat that we're only out $60.

But now I'm very interested in how this stuff works. I've been reading up on lamps. I'd never personally been interested in antiques...

I did find the lamp in pictures 8 and 9. It's worth about a $100 so it seems. The others I cannot find. If any of you find the others, that would be a huge help.

My son and I, the more we see the Ostrich lamp lit, the more we really think it's cool. It has a very 1950's Vegas feel to it. We have four shades that we think are silk. It's a very dim, cool look when it's on.

KingofThings likes this.
  11. kramer

kramer New Member

PS: We're finding that most of the lamp SHADES that we have are going for about $60 to $80 on EBAY alone.

KingofThings likes this.
  12. kramer

kramer New Member

I can't find this one ANYWHERE.

[​IMG]

KingofThings likes this.
  13. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I used to buy Stiffel lamps back in the early 60s, they were expensive then. They were extremely well made. My ex sold them for 5 bucks each after the divorce. Over the years I bought and sold many of them. The Stiffle estate had a huge yard sale in Paterson NJ. I bought 12 or 15 lamps from the estate which were almost one of a kind. I paid 100 bucks each and they sold from 450 to 1 thousand each. I still have 4 or 5 in the closet. The market has gone down on them and I see them listed for several hundred but most sell in the 25 to 30 dollars. The newer ones made in Chicago instead of NJ are still expensive but no were near the quality of the older ones. The older ones are solid brass and heavy, the newer ones has some plated brass and plastic. You have a wonderful set of lamps there.
    greg

lloyd249, SBSVC and KingofThings like this.
  14. fenton

fenton Well-Known Member

I believe that you need to post more pictures.

KingofThings likes this.
  15. kramer

kramer New Member

16. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Assuming you are asking Fenton about Greg's comment....
    I suspect Fenton wants to see his lamps.
    Now since neither of the comments are actually a reply to Greg directly on his post this is conjecture on my part. :)

17. kramer

kramer New Member

I would LOVE to see pics of your stuff!

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted