Featured Question for book sellers please-TIA

Discussion in 'Books' started by pearlsnblume, May 21, 2019.

1. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Sorry you lost me there? I put all the books from the same order in one box.

Christmasjoy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  2. Atlantic Jim

Atlantic Jim Active Member

I read your message as saying you were having trouble with boxes for the thinner books. I was saying the dimensions of the box you ship the book in won't affect it since it's based on weight...so you could just use those bigger ones you keep in stock and fill the box with book and some dunnage and you won't have to charge more to ship

judy, Christmasjoy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  3. pearlsnblume

Oh I see what you are saying now. I wasn't following.
    Thanks for the input.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  4. HippAntiques

HippAntiques Well-Known Member

I deal in books, but mostly children's books. (LGBs, Whitmans, Elfs, etc) For those, I DO go over each page, but they're pretty easy to do. For longer books, I flip through several times and look, but I don't look through them page by page. I haven't had an issue yet, with a buyer complaining about writing that I didn't tell them about.

judy, Christmasjoy and pearlsnblume like this.
  5. pearlsnblume

Thank you Hipp.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. Chris Cochran

Chris Cochran New Member

I suppose it depends on the method of sale. I know from experience some online sites are very strict on how books are categorized. In most cases as someone else said, I make sure to clean or fix anything that will not harm the book, get sticky or dirty spots of cover if possible.

Many online marketplaces use a standard set of classifications (this is kind of a morphed version of several site regs that I've adopted over the years)

1. New - means it is absolutely new still in original condition. Some books may have special media bundles or offers, these must be present.

2. Used Like New - Dust cover is present, spine is in tact and pages are clean and free of any markings. The front or back may have small cosmetic damage normal with limited use.

3. Used Very Good - Dust cover may be missing and front and back may show minor cosmetic wear. Pages are in good condition free from writing or folds.

4. Used Good - Dust cover is missing. Front and back may show excessive signs of wear from continuous use. Pages may be worn with folded edges and may contain limited writings or highlighting. May also contain labels from previous owner such as from a library or school.

5. Used Acceptable - No Dust Cover. May have water damage, folded pages, scratches on front or back. May contain writing and highlights. Basically you can tell it has been well used, but the text is readable and functional.

I've sold for awhile but I remember when I first started out I would get all kinds of complaints about condition of books even for minor things. The biggest and number one rule is be up front and honest about condition, clean up what you can without damaging the book, and provide pics when possible.

A note on labeling a book as a "collectible", just be sure there's something that makes it stand out and thus worthy of a higher asking price. First editions, signed copies, out of print, errors, limited copies produced.

You would assume people understand a used book has been used but I have had many a complaint about a book listed as good condition because somebody expected it to look brand new. But I enjoy selling books and sharing my own collections.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  7. pearlsnblume

Thanks Chris.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Christmasjoy and pearlsnblume like this.
  9. jsnggltt

jsnggltt Well-Known Member

If I'm shipping pre-owned (non collectors item) softcovers I simply wrap them snugly with thick paper (left over grocery bags are perfect)

10. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

As the recipient of thin soft covers that have arrived in pristine condition & ones with dinged corners, putting in a piece of cardboard a bit larger than the dimensions of the book or, better, sandwiching it between 2 pieces, is very helpful in discouraging letter carriers from bending or otherwise jamming such volumes into spaces where the cannot fit & remain flat.

11. pearlsnblume

Thanks all. Appreciate all the help and input.

Christmasjoy, Ghopper1924 and komokwa like this.
  12. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

@pearlsnblume , when you started this thread I wasn't focusing on the idea of how to package the books. There is a site called BookThink that over the years has carried several essays on different methods and materials that booksellers use for wrapping/packaging books. One of them is called b-flute -- which can be bought in a roll and you will probably recognize from the picture on this page: https://www.bookthink.com/0082/82bfl.htm

There is also the idea of building your own boxes from cardboard already on hand.
    https://www.bookthink.com/0176/176box1.htm

Then there is something with the interesting name of Multi-D:
    https://www.bookthink.com/0133/133multi1.htm

I found all of these by doing a site search on the main BookThink page.

Just some more ideas...

Ghopper1924, pearlsnblume and komokwa like this.
  13. pearlsnblume

Thanks Fig. I will check it all out. Much obliged.

Ghopper1924 and Figtree3 like this.
  14. pearlsnblume

Mostly because then I have to fill the void with a massive amount of material if the book is thin. I am going to buy some packing paper to use as well, but it adds up money wise for materials so I try to find boxes that fit fairly well and are not huge for the size of the book.

Draft saved Draft deleted