Question for hallmarks experts

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Lennyt, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Lennyt

Lennyt Well-Known Member

I'm reaearching vintage van cleef and arpels compact or dance purse and need an expert opinion on hallmarks.
    I'm not 100% sure if they legit.

Thanks for your help.

20180812_114823_HDR-1164x873.jpg 20180812_121503-1164x873.jpg 20180812_121512-1164x873.jpg

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Looks right

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  3. Lennyt

Lennyt Well-Known Member

I thought van cleef and arpels only marked gold as 750 and not as 18k. Also what does the LAO hallmark represent?

Christmasjoy, Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  4. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

Is there a serial number? Most pages about authenticating VCA mention it should have a serial number somewhere.

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. Lennyt

Lennyt Well-Known Member

No serial number. However this lools like 1930,s item and I'm not sure that serial numbers were in use at this period for this company.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

You could always ask them. I think they do authentications for a fee, or did. It's got 1930s Italian gold marks other than the 18k if that's any help.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. Lennyt

Lennyt Well-Known Member

So LOM is Italian gold hallmark?

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

SO, am I seeing what I THINK I'm seeing in the middle of that mark????? OR am I going BLIND?????? There's a CG down in the....ahem..."testimonials" .....if that means anything..........

zzzzFAKE REAL MARK.jpg

cartoongirl and Christmasjoy like this.
  10. Lennyt

Lennyt Well-Known Member

Could you point me to the page where you got this hallmark picture from. The link you provided brings me to a silver forum and I couldn't find this hallmark anywhere.

So far I have 3 possibilities.

1 This is in fact Van Cleef item correctly hallmarked.

2 This is fake Van Cleef item (no serial number and 18k instead of 750 mark).

3 This is not Van Cleef item (Italian hallmark that looks like Van Cleef).

This is all very confusing :)

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  11. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

12. Lennyt

Lennyt Well-Known Member

13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The rather suggestive looking mark is a French maker's mark, as Fid said. French maker's marks are always in a lozenge shape, either vertical, or horizontal like this one.
    It looks like the mark for Van Cleef & Arpels, with the VC and A on either side of the victory column of the Place Vendôme, the square in Paris where VCA and other top end jewellers have their shops.
    [​IMG]
    So @Aquitaine, it should be this thing below, the Vendôme Column, although I agree the mark on the compact looks like something else.:angelic:
    [​IMG]

The LAO mark is for the London Assay Office. 18k is neither French nor British, but American. It is also used in some Asian countries.
    As far as I know, VCA use either the French eagle mark for 18k gold, or the British 750 mark. This piece has a mishmash of marks.
    If it were British marked, it should look something like this, along with the VCA mark:
    • [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    Aquitaine, Houseful, Fid and 2 others like this.
  14. Lennyt

Lennyt Well-Known Member

Found a bit more info. This item was listed at Christie's in 2017 but was withdrawn before the auction with whole bunch of other similar items (wonder why???).
    The worst thing is I need to get correct price point by tomorrow night in order to make correct offer and so far I can't.
    This compact is displayed at Christie's website in one of their guides to collect.

https://www.christies.com/features/20th-century-Objects-of-Vertu-collecting-guide-8537-1.aspx

And here is my picture

20180812_114809_HDR[1].jpg

15. Any Jewelry

Lennyt, it is a very beautiful piece, but I have my doubts as to authenticity as true Van Cleef & Arpels. As you know VCA items have been faked for a long time, for obvious reasons.
    I am not very happy with the sloppiness of the LAO mark, and the VCA mark doesn't look as well-defined as others I've seen.
    Since the compact looks well made, I think it could be an existing quality piece, marked at a later date with fake VCA and LAO marks. The fact that it was withdrawn from Christie's is sus.

16. Lennyt

Lennyt Well-Known Member

You right that is what I was thinking. What makes me confused is why would Christie's keep faked item as a example on their website. Even if it is in fact non authentic Van Cleef it is still a beutiful example of enamel work. The asking was 1.5k so I'm still not sure if it is in a right price range.

kyratango and judy like this.
  17. Any Jewelry

It is very beautiful, and the guilloche and other enamel is a gorgeous design in perfect condition. If it has been tampered with, 1.5k is too much.
    A real pity, but I would say there are too many alarm bells.

judy, Fid, i need help and 1 other person like this.
  18. Lennyt

Lennyt Well-Known Member

I know. Makes me sad... Well Brimfield coming up in September, hopefully more things will come my way :)

judy and i need help like this.
  19. Any Jewelry

Lennyt, I am just one person, maybe you can do some more research, or others have a different opinion. @kyratango, what do you think?
    If it is still sus, the world is full of beautiful items....

About Christie's collector's guide, I think the guide and the auctioneers lead separate lives.;) The auctioneers probably forgot to alert the makers of the guide, and the compact will stay there for eternity.
    Strange thing is, that although the photo is still there, there is no description of the piece. More alarm bells.

judy, Fid, i need help and 1 other person like this.
  20. Lennyt

Lennyt Well-Known Member

If you hover mouse over the photo description will pop up.

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted