Featured QUESTION ON DESIGN FEATURE....

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Aquitaine, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

We've had these two items in our home for forever.....the mantle I refinished (it was already stripped decades ago I believe by my father and came out of an old farmhouse on Block Island) and the corner cupboard, I believe was in the 1672 home we owned on Block Island for 50 years.....when it was sold.....parents said we could have what we wanted out of it.....HA!...WITHIN REASON....my big choice was the corner cupboard that was there when parents bought it with TONS of old white paint that, again, my Dad, took off! ONLY recently did I happen to notice that BOTH pieces have the almost same center design carved out of & into each!!!! NOTHING like being blind!!!! But I'm drawing a blank on what you call it!!!! @James Conrad or whoever, please, the name of that central design???? I don't think it's a 'sunburst'.......ooops.....you DO need the pictures.....

PSX_20200624_220639.jpg

PSX_20200624_220722-EDIT.jpg

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  2. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Not for sure but, I would call it "Fan" carved, popular in the late Colonial & Federal periods.
    Although similar, I don't think they are the same, one looks carved into the wood on cupboard and the mantle carving looks applied.
    Same style really, just different techniques.

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Looks like an innie on the mantel & an outie on the cupboard.

4. Aquitaine

HMMMMM, @James Conrad, guess that's why you get paid the BIG bucks!!!!! I stained & finished it, but think I never looked THAT close!!!! (Also never really thought about it!) Thank you!!!

MANTLE PIECE-FAN-.jpg

5. James Conrad

Yes, applied to the mantle after being carved "off-site".

6. James Conrad

This is common in furniture depending on what is most practical. For example, the Goddard/ Townsend shop in Newport RI were/are rather famous for shell carved blockfront furniture however, only the center concave shell is carved into the drawer front, the 2 outer convex shells are carved off-site and then applied to the drawer front. If this makes any sense! :confused::p:eek::oops:

goddard townsend1R.jpg godtown2R.jpg

7. James Conrad

Detail of applied shell
    Click to enlarge

godtown2detail.jpg

8. Aquitaine

Beautifully done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks!!!! What about the drawers themselves.....where the pulls and locks are....are those sections also externally done and applied??? Asks a now enquiring mind???

9. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

A whole lot easier to create the flat front and then grind an intaglio into it than to try to make the flat front while also leaving material raised in the fan/scallop shell shape as cameos. Huge loss of good material too. How would the applied shapes be affixed to the wood behind?

10. James Conrad

Animal glue for sure, there is no structural stress on the applied carved shells as they are decorative only. Could be small brads/nails as well.

i need help and Bronwen like this.
  11. James Conrad

Has never examined a Goddard/Townsend piece in person, I'd like to though!:p
    Museum people are notoriously protective about many of their pieces, I could feel many eyes on me as I pawed over a mid-17th-century court cupboard after they explained in no uncertain terms, NO FLASHLIGHTS PLEASE!:eek::oops::sorry:

12. James Conrad

No, the "blockfronts" are carved/planed from a solid board, it takes a very thick board to do this.
    Blockfronts had been around for decades but, someone at the goddard/townsend shop got a notion to carve those "shells" at the top of those blocks and BAM! a Masterpiece was born.
    You can still purchase this dresser/bureau built exactly the way it was done in the 18th century. Here are a couple pics from Doucette and Wolf who make line by line reproductions of this famous furniture. If you have to ask, you can't afford the repro's, still, much cheaper than the millions for a "real" chest as above. :)
    https://furnituremaker1.blogspot.com/2013/12/chippendalechest.html

Shaping the block fronts on bottom 3 drawers
    DSCN1549 (1).JPG

Chest and drawers assembled
    DSCN2006.JPG
    Carving the center concave shell on top drawer
    DSCN2216.JPG

Top drawer complete with applied shells on either side
    DSCN2361.JPG

DSCN2924.JPG
    Finished Chest
    DSCN3009 - Version 2.jpg

Bronwen and patd8643 like this.
  13. James Conrad

Mary May, a nationally known carver based in Charleston SC, teaches carving and of course, A LOT of interest by woodworkers in learning how to carve those shells!
    I would add you can "mess up" the applied carvings on either end and just start a new one but, mess up that center concave shell?
    That's right kids, you JUST LOST THE ENTIRE TOP DRAWER FRONT! :eek:

Applied Shell carved by Mary May

P1010710.jpg

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    Bronwen and Ghopper1924 like this.
  14. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Wow! Beautiful!!

Bronwen and James Conrad like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted